Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2016 10:22:27 AM EDT
History buffs only. What is the most authoritative book on the Battle of Poitiers, also known as the Battle of Tours? I am talking about the 762 AD battle between Charles Martel's Army and the Umayyad Caliphate.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
History buffs only. What is the most authoritative book on the Battle of Poitiers, also known as the Battle of Tours? I am talking about the 762 AD battle between Charles Martel's Army and the Umayyad Caliphate.
View Quote

I'm bumping and tagging this, hoping someone has some suggestions.  

I'm particularly interested in the play-by-play of the battle, if much of that is even known, but also in the lead-up to it.  It seems that like today, there had to have been a massive arab presence growing in the world and they had to have been welcomed in for a time.  But ultimately, the battle was pretty much the last stand of Western civilization.

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Battle of Tours

732 AD.  I find this link pretty good, and has references of various authors and historians to follow up on.   The well trained Frankish heavy infantry under the sound leadership of Charles Martel, disciplined, well funded, including Church moneys, seasoned, battle tested troops.  Against the formidable Umayyad heavy cavalry that had rolled over the opposition to this point.  My recollection of history studies is that Charles clearly got the good ground and the "playing field" advantage.  He also got into their rear trains which in part caused them to break ranks.

One thing's for sure based upon my study of history, it was every bit the landmark event it has been portrayed as.  I'm not in the camp that it was not very significant, and that the Muslims had over extended themselves.  France and the heart of Europe were on the line in this encounter, and had the Franks not stopped them history would be shaped far differently.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm bumping and tagging this, hoping someone has some suggestions.  

I'm particularly interested in the play-by-play of the battle, if much of that is even known, but also in the lead-up to it.  It seems that like today, there had to have been a massive arab presence growing in the world and they had to have been welcomed in for a time.  But ultimately, the battle was pretty much the last stand of Western civilization.
View Quote

You can argue that the Battles of Lepanto and Vienna also saved Western Civilization from destruction at the hands of the Ottoman Muslim Turks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top