Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2001 6:51:20 PM EDT
Which war would have been best to serve in?
I would choose WWII, because it may have been the most important thing America ever did for the world.
It would also have been proud to serve with our forefathers and throw of the yoke of tyranny.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd have to pick Vietnam. Don't ask why, I can't really put it into words. Maybe it has something to do with the burning guilt I feel for my country having turned it's back on our guys that were doing a dirty job, far away, that we sent them to do in the first place.

Maybe it's because I can now see that while our guys were fighting commies half way across the world, the commies in the anti-war movement were winning the propoganda war here in America.

Maybe it's because I just hate commies that much, that I would love the chance to thin the herd. I just don't know. I just sometimes wish I was old enough to have served.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, all things considered, it would have been best to serve in a war that you survived, whether it was Thermopole or Pleiku...
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 2:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Consider myself lucky I never had to go to war. Careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully not the next one!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey Ed,  Desert Storm too small for ya?

After the last one I said something about them having to find a pregnant nun in Canada before......
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Ed,
Good point about WWII, I think we saved Western Europe, but sacrificed Eastern Europe.
But I also don't believe we could have defeated the Soviet Union in 1945, at least conventionally and could you imagine if we had used nukes to save Eastern Europe?
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Vietnam for sure, I grew up in a military family, all during those years--I was 2 when we first escalated there and was ten when we got out...it was a big influence on my life.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Served in ops "just cause" and "desert storm", I would rather not see another. In the past I think WWII did the most to change the world and I also think we could have beat the Soviets at the time. JMHO

Rew
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#11]
i'd choose ww2 - now the question is which side?

steve
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#12]
my dad sometimes says his biggest regret is not going to nam. im glad he didnt, as i may not be here today. i would say revelution. i love those old muskets.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
World War 2, well suported by the folks back home and men were joining without attempting to avoid the "Draft" in most cases.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I really thought some of our Southern members would have voluntered to fight for state's rights against the blue belly invaders.
[shotgun]         [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#15]
It's already been said - hopefully not the next one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I served in Viet Nam, and would again, had family in every action this county had been in since the War of Northern Agression.   None of them were nice.  But if I had to pick, I would pick them all, if it would keep my son or anybody elses sons or daughers from ever having go to war again.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Of all the wars mentioned, the only one I fully believe in was the Revolution. Well, and maybe the Civil War, but I'd hate to have to shoot at my Yankee ancestors.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:55:50 AM EDT
[#18]
If I had my M1A at Bunker Hill, things would have ended differently.
The one I would most hate serving in was WWI. The conditions were the worst I have ever seen continously.
Luckily the U.S. was not involved that long.
I would chose the Mexican War. I don't believe U.S. forces lost a single battle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#19]
My American forefathers fought in everywar this country has had since the French and Indian..I am fortunate to be the direct descendant of a Revolutionary War General
who lost his leg in the French and Indian War..my dad was a combat vet in WWII and Korea..me in Viet Nam...the war I would most like to fight in would be Armagedon ..The
Final Conflict.....then Jesus The Lord Of All will return.....that my friends will be the day
of unspeakeable joy for me...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top