Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2002 11:43:48 PM EDT
Well, thanks to this forum I've learned about the legal issues when dealing and modifying my AR15. Now I'm looking to add another gun to my collection, my first shotgun. I'm thinking a semi Benelli M3 Super 90. [:D]

So, on that note, what should I know about the legal issues and restrictions of the semi-auto shotgun? Should I invest in a preban or get a postban? What can't I do or add to it postban wise? The reason I ask is I had to choose between a preban and postban AR15, and I'm glad I went postban. I wanna make another good decision here.

Here's my collection plan. (I must like company's starting with B.)

Beretta 96G Elite2 - have
Bushmaster XM15 16" A3 - have
Benelli M3 Super 90 - want
Barrett .50 BMG - want

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you seen the Benelli M4?
[url]http://www.benelliusa.com/m4_super90/[/url]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
A pre-ban semi-auto shotgun can have any features except barrel less than 18 1/2" (unless it is NFA registered).  A post-ban semi-auto shotgun can have a pistol grip stock OR a magazine extension.  Only one of the two - not both.

I'm not sure exactly what the law states, but I think it states a magazine capacity limit rather than actually stating an extension.  For example, some M3 Super 90's that are post-ban have a full length magazine tube that hold 7 rounds - no extension added to the mag tube.  On those shotguns you still would not be able to legally add a pistol grip stock.

BTW, I saw on your want list a Barret .50 BMG.  I think any .50 BMG weapons are now NFA items.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
First, thanks for the info on Shotguns. Didnt know about the grip/magazine requirement.

Now, I've heard that they were "thinking" about making the .50cal an NFA item, but now its already in effect?! Man, I hope not. Iowa isnt an NFA friendy state.

[50]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
There are also restrictions on folding stocks for auto's.

You may want to consider a pump as you can make any mod you want to it whatsoever.

Folding stock, pistol grip and as long a mag tube as you can find.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If the .50 BMG isn't NFA now, and does become NFA later you'll have to register it when it does become NFA.

For example - Street Sweepers and SPAS 15 (the box magazine fed 12ga) became NFA and ATF set a cut off date to have them registered w/o having to pay the $200 tax. All weapons not registered before the cut off date became contraband and could never be registered.  I talked to a guy at a gun show and he didn't register his SPAS 15 in  time.  He turned it into ATF and they destroyed it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:08:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd just like to get one before it becomes NFA.

Now lets say I do get one, and it later becomes NFA. I live in Iowa, a non-NFA state. Does that mean I have to get rid of it? Or am I allowed to keep it since I purchaced it earlier?

Also, with it maybe becoming an NFA item, will that make a .50 BMG more valuable for resale/transfer in the years to come?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd just like to get one before it becomes NFA.

Now lets say I do get one, and it later becomes NFA. I live in Iowa, a non-NFA state. Does that mean I have to get rid of it? Or am I allowed to keep it since I purchaced it earlier?
View Quote

No, this is one of the most misunderstood aspects of state law. No state bans Class 3 or NFA firearms. They ban specific firearms based on a definition in the state statutes (I.E. MGs, SBR, SBS, AOW, DD, etc...). So, if the ATF or Congress adds a new gun to the NFA, you can keep it until your state adds it to their statutes or chages their defintion to encompass it.

Also, with it maybe becoming an NFA item, will that make a .50 BMG more valuable for resale/transfer in the years to come?
View Quote

Somewhat. If it becomes a DD, it will go up somewhat in value especially in-state due to an udder lack of Lisenced DD Dealers. If classified as a DD, they could still be made, bought, etc...with a $200 tax. But, if they classify it as a MG (which has been considered), the value will go up significantly as no more .50s could be produced for Civie Use. But, they would be basically increasing the supply of transferrable MGs since they'd have to have a registration period for you to register your .50BMG as a MG. I garuntee you if this happens, Barret, et al. will be pumping out as many Semi-Auto .50s as they can before the law takes effect. I once posed the question elsewhere (but this one guy thought I was talking about making illegal MGs, so he jumped down my throat.) as to if they are reclassified as MGs if you can make them fire Full-Auto. After all, they are MGs. Personally, if they do I'd like to see them reclassify any .50 Rifle, so I could build some .50AE AR-15s, Register them as MGs, then convert them to .50AE M16s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top