Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2002 11:09:22 AM EDT
out of a 10 rounder. You know on some of these 10 round mags you can easily make them hold 14 to 16 rounds in the same package. Same spring, same body same follower. Now are you making a new mag by making it hold more than it was supposed to? Current law states a new hi cap cannot be made as new to us little people.

Rick
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
your not making your modifying - so nope they already though of that and put that in there law.

Chain linking ammo-feeding devices may be ok, but there's no case law on it as far as I know.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It is against the law to manufacture a new high-capacity magazine or modify a 10-round magazine to hold more than 10 rounds.  Period.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is against the law to manufacture a new high-capacity magazine or modify a 10-round magazine to hold more than 10 rounds.  Period.
View Quote

...unless it is correctly labeled and sold to those who may legally possess them (i.e. law enforcement, etc.), based upon the ban.

mark
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#4]
What if he was making it as a replacement for a hicap body that wore out,or got damaged? It's my understanding that this would be legal,as you are only replacing a part.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The way I read the law as stating is a brand new mag for civilian use cannot be made (since the 94 ban) to exceed 10 rounds. I also read that a modified mag can be modified as lond as it still functions in the firearm it came from.

Not trying to start trouble just would like to know the bottom line. I've read thru the atf site and the bardwel letters and found nothing spelling it out. I found it a little gray to modify a 10 rounder to a 15.

Rick

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
What would happen if you did would it be a felony?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
According to this you would have created a large-capacity magazine by adding an extension, unless you can prove to a court that an extension is a separate ammunition feeding device.

I just had to highlight D, that has to be the ultimate WTF where they thinking.  Dose D have any barring on ammunition feeding devices????????[rolleyes]

(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.
[b](d) Knives carried in sheaths which are worn openly suspended from the waist of the wearer are not concealed within the meaning of this section.[/b]

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#8]
As I stated in a earlier post.....The mods would be no welding, no adding anything....just using the existing body, spring, follower and base. Would that be illegal?

It still would function in the firearm it came from.
I hate laws that are gray and hard to really make a sound determation.

Rick
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Since manufacturers have to submit their 10 rounders to the BATF to prove that they aren't readily modifiable to hold more than 10 rounds, it is unlikely that it would be an easy thing to do.  You would be better off buying legal hi-caps.  Less jail time involved.  Jail time??? It's illegal to do it.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#10]
this is a intresting topic, heres a question what if you had a 10rounder before 94 and you modified it to hold 12 rounds wouldn't that make it pre ban? the goverment cannot make a law and punish you after you have done something, correct?
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Still illegal.  It wasn't a hi-cap mag prior to 9/13/1994.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have asked this before, and no one has ever answered. How can it be proven when an unmarked or pre-ban mag was modified? Any unmarked mag is considered pre-ban, right? Why would people be buying High-cap replacement mag bodies for glocks, if glock fixes your mags for free? Why was a parts replacement loophole left in the high-cap mag law?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Good question. I've always wondered this myself. I know that this is illegal, but how would anyone catch me if I was to buy a high-cap mag body for my Beretta mags and install the clinton mag spring, follower, and baseplate? Wouldn't it be unmarked and considered to be a preban? How would you be able to tell that it wasn't originally a pre-ban? Not that I would do this, since real pre-bans are readily avaliable, but owners of, say, Glocks might be more tempted to do this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Mace, I don't think glock owners could do this bec the only way to get a replacement mag body is to send them your broken mag.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got off the phone with a field agent at the ATF and they told me a mag thats post ban cannot be modified to accept more than 10 rounds. I knew that already. They also told me that if its a preban 10 rounder you can modify it to accept more. There are no markings what so ever on the mag making it a preban by current laws.
I will be calling the headquarters in DC to further verify this.

more to come.

Rick
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I called the head cheese at the washington branch....They said no you cannot modify a pre or a post ban mag to accept any more than it was designed for.

When I called my local field agent he said I could modify a preban mag but not a post ban.

So I still do not have a concrete answer but I think the boys at the DC post maybe correct.

o well
Rick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top