Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/2/2002 9:36:37 PM EDT
On a post ban Romanian AK-74, the front sight post is the item that is threaded to accept a muzzle brake, does this make it illegal to install a threaded muzzle brake onto this weapon? The barrel is NOT threaded, only the front sight post.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:02:48 AM EDT
is the front site post permanently attached to the barrel? If not then you would not have a threaded barrel, although I would look up the BATF’s definition of a barrel and make sure that it dose not qualify as a barrel. They don’t say anything about a threaded muzzle so you would probably be alright. It’s a real gray area. As far as the muzzle brake, yes you can have one attached. The only requirement with threaded muzzle brakes is that they use a different thread than a flash suppressor. But that would not apply to use if you don’t have a threaded barrel – if indeed that site post dose not qualify as a part of the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:09:40 AM EDT
This legal opinion from the BATF might help you out: [url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter89.txt[/url]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:17:28 AM EDT
Thanks all, looks to legal at this time until someone make a threaded flash suppressor for this rifle! Romanian AK looks good with the thread on 74 brake, have not seen to many around, 30 round mags are dirt cheap and so is the ammo!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:49:30 AM EDT
I should have added that I added exactly what you're talking about to my SAR-2 last summer and it shoots great. The 5.45x39 doesn't have much recoil to begin with but after adding the brake, what little recoil there was is totally eliminated. And it looks great also. By changing out the front sight base I also corrected the canted front sight problem.
Top Top