Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2002 9:31:50 AM EDT
or is it considered a school zone?

becouse since im a college student and am considering getting one but if i cant carry at school [:(0 kinda defeats the point if i have to leave it in the car
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a senior in college, well art school [:P]

I have an apartment in center city Philly along with late 10pm ish, classes.  I got a permit and I carry it around the area.  I talked with some security guards about carrying on campus and they said to consult the dean.  I'm friends with him and pretty much the whole faculty is democratic and already got issues they don't like guns, so I just leave my pistols at home,e ven with late classes [:(]

But colleges are private schools, so I don't think the Gun Free School Zone thing applies, plus I'm sure they got rid of that law.

-Sam
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
depends on where you live, in TX apprantly you cant carry in assumed places (schools, hospitals, fed's hideouts...) but they say you cant carry in "premises" of educational establishment and there is a section of texas penal code that says premises means inside buildings, so that means in TX you can legally carry in the streets of the university, but not into buildings.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Florida being a "shall issue" state, CCW-wise...they still specifically prohibit CCW holders from carrying on school or university property. Stay safe
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a state issue.

Colleges are post-secondary and are not regulated by 922(q). But, there may be the issue of colleges which have adult high schools. I am not sure whether or not an Adult High School is considered to be providing Secondary education.

The Gun Free School Zones law was overturned by SCOTUS in 1991, I belive due to lack of IC Nexus. But, 3 years later Congress recreated the law with a new paragraph of Bullshit about how guns hurt education and bad education hurts Interstate Commerce. The 1994 law has no been overturned yet. It would require another case to make it all the way to SCOTUS like US vs. Lopez did in 1991.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#5]
What about Kalifornia State Universities? Don't have my permit yet (not 21 yet) and KA is a "may issue" state, but our county sheriff (my city dosn't have police, we just rent sheriff deputies)dishes 'em out like candy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Here in Florida, it is prohibited for a CCW licensee to carry a firearm on an accredited college campus.  If the person is enrolled in a class, they are allowed to carry another form of a concealed weapon - like a stun gun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
In PA the only areas off limits are court houses and federal property.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#11]
My Arizona buddy says ABSOLUTELY NOT!  He says it should be posted, but in case its not, he was told that a campus was off limits for CC.  Contact your school security and ask them just to see if they permit carrying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top