Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2002 3:30:58 PM EDT
can anyone tell me what I need to do in this instance.  My grandfather has passed away and I am to inherit his revolver.  Does the typical backround check and etc....still need to be done?  I have been told different theories and would like to get a positive answer.  Thank you very much for the help.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If in same state, you should be able to take immediate possession from the estate executor? Or Grandma if she is still here should be able to hand over as gift. If out of state, need to involve an FFL to get pistol to you. As far as my grandfathers stuff, he just said here, take it, I'm too old to use this anymore. (he is up the road 1-1/2 hr)
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
For a private firearm transaction, no paperwork is required. This goes for handguns too. Whoever currently has the gun may give it to you without need worry. Even if they "sold" it to you its not a problem if its a private (not dealer) transaction.

If you inherit it, you may need register it under your name, which might be necessary in some states. Not sure here. As for a background check, no. If you pass the legal requirements to own one (not a felon, ect) your ok.

As always, check local laws to be sure. And if you dont need to register it, dont. It'll just put you on "big brothers" list.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
As far as Federal law is concerned, the pistol can be transferred to you directly by the executor of the estate, even if it is an interstate transfer.  No licensee has to be involved.  See the link for 27CFR, 178.30(a).  The transfer still must comply with all state laws.
[url]http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=27&PART=178&SECTION=30&YEAR=2001&TYPE=TEXT[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top