Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2002 10:45:58 AM EDT
I have a preban CAR and was wondering if I could take a 16" barrel, put on a Phantom flash hider and then cover that up with a 20" handguard.  

Two questions, one is it legal and two, could the handguard safely take the muzzel blast.

Ok and one more question, is this a crazy idea.

Thank you for all replies.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you could do that.

You would have to purchase a barrel with either a milled front sight (Bushmaster offers these) or a barrel with a simple gas block (Brownell's sells these).  You would also need to get a two piece handguard to make installation easier.  And you'd also need a flat top upper to mount a red dot or optical sight.

No, it's not a dumb idea.  In fact there's a distributor who's selling Bushmaster uppers already assembled in this configuration - however they're post-ban.

Maybe you just want to buy another upper so that you could switch them at your leisure? That way you could also buy another lower when you get the money and then you'd have 2 AR's.

After that you could start planning your third and fourth AR variant and your wife would say [shock]!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it Legal if the barrel crown is inside the handguard? From where is the Barrel measured for NFA length?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Troy... thank you very much for this information, it is exactly what I wanted to know, and more.

The photo seems to indicate that this handguard may also function as both a flash hider and compensator as the exiting muzzle gasses would push forward against the handguard end vents... and with the barrel end 4" prior to the end of the handguard the flash could be contained thus possibly excluding the need for a Phantom inside of the handguard.

I'll contact them.  Thanks again for the info and the link.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The barrel ends at the end of the shroud/handguard.  If you go with a standard length free float tube, it will end 4 inches before the muzzle on a 16 inch barrel.  I've seen pictures of this done on a SWAT sniper rifle, A2 stock and it was SWEET!  The Signature doesn't hide the muzzle.  Both configurations are legal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top