Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2002 6:36:22 PM EDT
I asked a question on here a while back about getting an M16 Selector and converting it to an AR-15 Selector so that I would have 3-Positions, but no Full-Auto Capabilities.

The responses I got were:

a) Add a 3rd Position to an AR-15 Selector. The drill wouldn't even make a dent in the damned selector.

b) Get an M16 selector and remove the tail.

I began thinking, would it be illegal to have an M16 Selector if I also possess a Semi-Automatic AR-15. If so, is there any way to get an AR-15 Selector with 3 Stops on it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If your metal cutting capabilities aren't up to working on the hardened steel, then you can either have the work done by a gunsmith or machinist, or try modifying the M16 selector yourself.

If you have just the M16 selector, and not a complete set of full auto parts, and don't install the selector in the AR until you've modified it, you should be completely in the clear, legally.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you need a three-position selector on a two-setting firearm?

Scott

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks. Marking the 3rd Position something like "Spotted Bin Laden" or something funny like that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe, under the current twisting of the law, that possession of any M16 parts along with an AR-15 or derivative constitutes possession of an unregistered machine gun.

Not something to get involved with unless you are tired of paying for room and board, especially if doing it just for something funny.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I believe, under the current twisting of the law, that possession of any M16 parts along with an AR-15 or derivative constitutes possession of an unregistered machine gun.

View Quote

Not so, the code section absolutely does NOT say this.  Check this out [URL]ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=104568[/URL]

The law is pretty clear. Unless the part can be used to "assemble" your AR into an unregistered mg, then it is not an MG. So, if I have an M-16 hammer in my AR, and NOTHING else, I'm not violating the law (despite what the guys at Bushmaster will tell you).  

However and as always, my advice is don't do it- if it serves no purpose then what's the point?  I have to admit, cc's proposal is funny and does actually serve a comedic function (as well as a nice example of the exercise of free speech).
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
So, let say I'm looking to build a new AR upper, and I spot a deal on a used M16 carrier at a show.  Since the carrier alone won't give me full-auto capability, would it be legal to put that carrier in my upper, if my lower has all semiauto parts?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why would you need a three-position selector on a two-setting firearm?

Scott

View Quote

No offense meant, but still sounds kind of fishy to me...
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, let say I'm looking to build a new AR upper, and I spot a deal on a used M16 carrier at a show.  Since the carrier alone won't give me full-auto capability, would it be legal to put that carrier in my upper, if my lower has all semiauto parts?
View Quote

Under that fact pattern, you would not be in possession of an unregistered MG since, as written, the M-16 part and your AR15 semi do not meet the definition under 18 USC 5845(b).

However, it's just as easy to find and purchase an AR15 semi B/C.  Lot's of good deals out there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree it would not be in violation of having an unregistered MG, but the kicker in all of this is the ATF's willingness to take action against people for INTENT. That means you might not have even broken any laws but they prosecute you anyways because they say you "might" do it.  

Although as I understand it, its more of an add-on to other charges, as opposed to just being charged with INTENT.

Either way you slice it, the ATF isn't your friend.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a M16 kit without the receiver once.  I took the hammer, bolt carrier, and the disconnector, the I done some metal work.  The AR-15/M16 Sourcebook is were I had learned to do it.  Get a copy and it will tell you how.  I had to play with the hammer to get it right, but I did not take of to much metal. And one more thing, go slowly!!!.
BTN
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]
M16 parts can be modified into Semi-auto parts and used in an AR15.  For example you can take an M16 bolt carrier and mill, grind or whatever off part of the lower part of the carrier so it will not trip a sear and use it in an AR15.  You can take an M16 hammer and mill/grind off the lug and use it in an AR15.  You can take the selector and do the same thing.

This makes the parts NOT M16 after the modification.  

The big question is why you are doing the mods are you in possession with the intent to manufacture a MG if you have all the parts?

cc48510,  Use a Dremel or grinding type device to modify the M16 selector.

medcop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top