Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2001 9:01:12 AM EDT
If I own a legal pistol lower with a 7" barrel can I legally put a car stock on it or does that make it a sbr?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
to legaly put a stock on a pistol the barrel lenght must be 16 inches or longer. Also by doing this at least on a AR you can never Irepeat NEVER make it back into a pistol
unless its registred as a SBR

One other thing to put a Car stock on a SBR the lower has to be pre ban/CB
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, as long as the lower started out as a pistol, you can put a 16" or greater barrel on it, and then put a stock on it, legally.  Having done so, you can remove the stock, and again put a short barrel on it, as a pistol.

Pistol can go to rifle configuration and back without a tax stamp.  Rifle can't go to pistol.

The collapsible stock on an SBR info is correct - but would only apply to a pistol with a long barrel and shoulder stock if collapsible stock is on the banned features list for a post-ban PISTOL.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Call the ATF, NFA branch at 202-927-8330.
Ask them the same question.
The TRUTH will suprise you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Call the ATF, NFA branch at 202-927-8330.
Ask them the same question.
The TRUTH will suprise you.
View Quote

I would suggest writing them.  Why, documentation.  That way if the ATF agent who said "bla, bla" is wrong, it's not his/their word against yours.  It takes some time.  My little bit.

But to my understanding, a pistol can be changed into a rifle and back again (like making a 1911 rifle...16" barrel and then a stock...attatched in that order).  But, the AR might be different....assuming could be a bad move.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]
On going from pistol to stocked rifle and back without being subject to the NFA:
[url]http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/rr_61203.txt[/url]

And in particular, the relevant section:

Conversely, where one of the above described pistols has a
barrel of 16 inches or more in length, it is held not to be a
"firearm," within the definition of 5848(1) of the Act, even though
such weapon has an attached or attachable shoulder stock.  With the
shoulder stock attached such weapon is a rifle.  When the shoulder
stock is detached, such weapon is a pistol, and is deemed not to
have been made from a rifle.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top