Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2002 4:18:43 PM EDT
Why do you need an FFL to buy a BRP mg-34 upper that fits on ar-15 lower. I thought that the lower was considered the firearm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#1]
In the case of the xmg99 upper, ATF has determined that it's capable of firing a shot with no lower attached, so it's considered a title 1 firearm all by itself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In the case of the xmg99 upper, ATF has determined that it's capable of firing a shot with no lower attached, so it's considered a title 1 firearm all by itself.
View Quote
So is there still hope of haveing an ar-15 beltfed upper that is not considered a firearm all by itself? What about the 50 bmgs that are being made to fit on an ar-lowers? are they capable of being fired without a lower?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I can only assume that if the ATF determines them to be capable of firing a shot while not attached to the lower, they'd be classified as firearms, also.

I'm working on a beltfeed adapter which would definitely not be classified as a firearm by itself - if I can get it into production, that would fill your bill.

I don't think the Ares shrike has been type-classified yet, since it's not been offered for general sale, nor been put into production yet, to my knowledge.  If Ares can ever get that into production, it might also fill your bill.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Does the XMG99 fire from an open bolt?

I have an MG-34 parts kit.  If you were really stupid you could fire a round (and probably blow your hand off in the process) with just the bolt and barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top