Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2002 10:18:12 PM EDT
i cant think of why it wouldnt work, ar15 pistol with fixed mag. wouldnt that allow not only one to go over weight, but also threaded barrel and flash supressor, as it would no longet be subject to the facist 94 crime bill? someone straighten me out here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
A Fixed Mag Pistol is not subject to 922(r) (1989 Import Ban) or 922(v) (1994 AW Ban)

I am considering building an AK-47 with a fixed 90 Round Drum to get around 922(r) and 922(v).

Also, an AR built w/o a stock on a virgin receiver is not subject to SBR Restrictions unless a stock is affixed. If you ever add a stock, it becomes a rifle and the barrel must grow to 16", it must comply with both the 1989 and 1994 AW Bans, and if you want to keep the short barrel it must be registered and a $200 tax paid.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
i live in the nazi republic of iowa, so their will be no SBR.

i have seen AKs like you talk about. they were at auction on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#3]
but the AKs i saw were AK pistols. pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Remember, the receiver must have been identified as a pistol receiver by the manufacturer.  You can't make a pistol out of a rifle receiver.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]
yes, thought of that, their is a heese pistol lower (kevlar) or i r thought i could contact a maker and talk to them about a virgin pistol lower. i see no need to use a KEV-lower if im gonna go over weight anyhow.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#7]
yah, im not sure about the fixed mag. maybe a welded mag catch, and welded around the bottom, if thats even passible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I posted in other sections about my HESSE kevlar pistol lower and was interested in how you would exactly fix a magazine into this lower? Because it is kevlar and not aluminum it won't take a weld, so my options are pinning the mag in (of which I have no idea how to do propperly) or... glue?

And also, what is the propper legal condition of a fixed magazine pistol lower? By this I mean does the ATF state that the fixed magazine "does not have the ability to be reomoved by normal means" or is it something more severe like "the reciever and magazine must be perminantly connected in a manner that never allows the removal of the magazine for the life of the firearm"? If the magazine just has to be "retained" in the firearm without the ability "to be removed by normal means" then could someone technically make a magazine like an SKS that is removable when the gun is taken down but is held in place when the gun is assembled and operational? By this I mean something like a straight 20 round colt mag with some sort of "bracket" welded onto the mag that allows the mag to be inserted from the top of the lower and held in place by the upper coming down on it (albeit notches would have to be milled into the upper to allow space).

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
thats a very intresting point, it would be intresting so see how the ATF would recommend fixing a mag.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I designed a modified Mag. Release that basically makes the magazine non-detachable, unless the Mag. Release is disassembled. i'm gonna send the drawings to the ATF for an opinion. It seems that SKS Mags. are removable by removing the stock. This is still considered fixed. The ATF works on does it require disassembly of the gun to remove. My Mag. Rel. is designed to look like a normal release, but not be able to move at all. It could be disassembled by removing a screw in the release and removing the Release. I'm not sure it'll get ATF Approval. If not, I'll design one to have an internal release. I designed once receiver that could take a fixed mag. or in the fixed mag. hole a Mag. well could be inserted. Then a detachable mag. could be inserted in the well. It is incomplete in the sense that I haven't designed a fixed mag. mag. for it yet. The mechanism to remove the well or fixed mag. is inside the receiver. That should get ATF Approval, but I would prefer the altered Mag. Release as it would be salable w/o an FFL. I.E. I could sell them at Gun Shows. Modifying a lower could be considered a business.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#11]
now were getting somewhere
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Dave_G I thought it just had to be a virgin receiver..never been assembled before.  Does not have to be marked as a pistol receiver, just could not have started life as a rifle.

Correct?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
At some point didn't oly make a postban AR pistol with a fixed 30 round mag? IIRC They stoped making it because their factory burned down. Now they have a new plant so I would think that they will bring it back at some point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top