Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2001 4:38:10 PM EDT
Just wondering if it would be legal to build an AR lower(postban) with a teloscoping stock and other "ATF Evil features" if I register my lower as a pistol?
any info would be most helpful!
THANKS![beer]
~Ric
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
A pistol cannot have a stock of any kind - or it's legally a short-barrel rifle.

A post-ban AR-15 SBR cannot have a telestock if it's got the detachable magazine and a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
No pistol can have a stock? i always see products for many pistols to ad a stock to them,and i never see any disclaimer about checking NFA rules or laws, what about making my lower into like you said a short barreld rifle,do you you know what it takes or any forms I need to do so?
Thanks Again!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]
A lawful pistol with a stock attached becomes a "SBR", subject to NFA rules. A pistol with a stock must have a 16" minimum length barrel to be legal.

To make your rifle a SBR, you need to do a Form-1, along with the tax paid, CLEO signature, fingerprints and photos. Then you can take the stock off, and it looks like a pistol, but still a rifle under the rules.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
50 Ounces = 3 Pounds, 2 Ounces

[list=1]
[*]FAR-15 = 4 Pounds, 14.72 Ounces = 78.72 Ounces[/*]
[*]Carbon 15 Rifle w/ Stock = 4 Pounds, 4.8 Ounces = 68.8 Ounces[/*]
[*]Carbon 15 Rifle w/o Stock = 3 Pounds, 14.4 Ounces = 62.4 Ounces[/*]
[*]Carbon 15 Pistol = 2 Pounds, 14 Ounces = 46 Ounces[/*]
[/list]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
It is doable, but you will likely have to do alot of custom work.

[list=1]
[*]Go With A Flat-Top Upper.[/*]
[*]Use Aluminum Rather Than Steel Wherever Possible.[/*]
[*]Shorten The Barrel To 7.5" or Less.[/*]
[*]Use Plastic Rather Than Metal Parts Wherever Possible.[/*]
[*]Remove Any Unnecessary Parts.[/*]
[list=1]
[*]Bolt Catch[/*]
[*]Dust Cover[/*]
[*]Trigger Gaurd[/*]
[*]Foward Assist[/*]
[/list=1]
[*]If Necessary, Cast Your Own Plastic Lower. You could check around and see if Cavalry Arms will make you a custom one w/o a Built-In Stock. I'm not sure, but I believe no Lower that comes with a stock can be considered a pistol.[/*]
[*]AND, IF ALL ELSE FAILS: Get A GogoGadgets Lower w/ Non-Detachable Magazine or Alter your Mag. to be Non-Detachable. I have designed a modified Mag. Release that will make my Mag. Non-Detachable and I will soon check with the ATF (Opinion Letter) as to whether it is considered Non-Detachable.[/*]
[/list=1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Cheaper, and Legal, to either pay the $200 making tax and build it as an AOW OR have a Title II manufacturer build and register it as an an AOW and transfer to you with a $5 transfer tax.  In either case the 94 ban doesn't apply to an AOW.  You still won't be able to add a stock, that would make it an SBR, which Is covered by the ban.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top