Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2001 7:39:41 PM EDT
If you register a rifle as an sbr then do all the regulations( restrictions) that apply to an assault weapon still apply to the sbr weapon? As I understand it if you have a machine gun then the rifle falls under different regulations in which the restrictions (e.g. no flash hider, bayo lug, collapsible stock, etc.) placed on assault rifles do not apply to the machine gun.

Once a rifle is registered as an sbr can different uppers be interchanged? Particularily if the receiver is from a completely assembled pre-ban rifle? Is it true that once a receiver is registered as an sbr it will alway be an sbr and cannot be re-registered as a rifle?

Given a pre-ban receiver that is registered as a sbr, can a collapsible stock be installed on a pre-ban sbr registered receiver?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If you register a rifle as an sbr then do all the regulations( restrictions) that apply to an assault weapon still apply to the sbr weapon?
View Quote

YES
Pre-Ban rifle= Pre-Ban or Post ban features
Post-Ban rifle= Post-Ban features ONLY

As I understand it if you have a machine gun then the rifle falls under different regulations in which the restrictions (e.g. no flash hider, bayo lug, collapsible stock, etc.) placed on assault rifles do not apply to the machine gun.
View Quote

CORRECT, A MG is not a Semi-Auto AW.

Once a rifle is registered as an sbr can different uppers be interchanged?
View Quote

Correct, use any length upper that "flips your skirt". I have a 7.5, 11.5, and 12" for my lower.

Is it true that once a receiver is registered as an sbr it will always be an sbr and cannot be re-registered as a rifle?
View Quote

FALSE, you can write ATF and have the serial number (SBR) removed from the register back to the "Title 1" status w/16" or longer barrel, but you will lose $200. If you decide to register the same lower again,,,,ANOTHER $200 to re-register. DO NOT sell the lower as a "Title 1"  until you get a letter from ATF to show removal from the register.

Given a pre-ban receiver that is registered as a sbr, can a collapsible stock be installed on a pre-ban sbr registered receiver?
View Quote

YES, Pre-Ban = Pre or Post features,
Post-ban = Post-ban features (no collapse stock)
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
yes the Assualt weapon regs still apply to SBRs

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. I was concerned that if I registered a pre-ban receiver as an sbr that I might jeopardize it's status and value.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DO NOT sell the lower until you get a letter from ATF to show removal from the register.
View Quote

I DIDN'T know that.

I couldn't buy an SBR as is?

I would have to manufature one?

If a friend had one for sell he would have to remove it from the register. Then I could buy it and re-register it, along with stamping my info on it. Correct?

Get enough names on that receiver and you'ld really want to melt it down someday. That way 'they' wouldn't know ALL the nuts ran around together. LOL [whacko]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Jonnie:  No - if it's already registerd as an SBR, you *can* sell it, but it transfers on a $200 tax stamp to the next owner (with all the signoff, pics and prints and waiting for the stamp to come back).

If you want to sell it without hassling with all that, you can remove it from the registry, and sell it like any normal long gun or receiver - but only after you get your notification back from the ATF confirming it's no longer registered as an SBR.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, thanks Circut.

That's more what I always thought. It just makes sense. Which we know means very little to the ATF. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
18 USC 44 Sec. 921(a)--

A Machine Gun is not subject to the AW Ban because it is not a Rifle. A Rifle is inherently Non-Automatic. A MG is therefore not a rifle, but a MG. But, a SBR is a Rifle and is therefore subject to the NFA. The only other weapon exempted is an AOW as it is neither a rifle as it is not shoulder fired or a pistol as it has a vertical foregrip. Making an AR-15 AOW would be kinda weird due to the buffer tube, but I have seen FAL and AK AOWs. AOWs transfer for $5, but are made for $200. You could theoretically buy an AR-15 Lower (Virgin), then register it as an AOW. upon reception of your approved Form 1, then you could put any Upper you want as long as it is built w/o a stock and has a verical foregrip attached. These are 100% exempt from the 1994 AW Ban, and better yet transfer for only $5.

(5) The term ''shotgun'' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

(6) The term ''short-barreled shotgun'' means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification or otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

(7) The term ''rifle'' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to [red]fire only a single projectile[/red] through a rifled bore [red]for each single pull of the trigger.[/red]

(8) The term ''short-barreled rifle'' means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top