Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2001 5:13:05 PM EDT
Hey guys I have a new question for you...  Is it illegal to be in possesion of an unloaded 30 rnd mag along with a Post-ban rifle??? Or does the mag need to actually be in the weapon in order to violate the law???

thanks
jeff
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It does not matter. You can use 30rd mags in any AR-15 as long as the MAGS are preban.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Really??? I thought you could not put anything higher then a 10 rnd mag into a post ban weapon... Period... regardless of weather the mag is pre-ban???

Im confused... Help me out guys...
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
You can put any preban hi-cap mag in any AR-15 unless there is a state, or local ban in your area.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok guys, Thanks...It does clear things up... I thought that you could not but any hi cap mag into a postban rifle...  Now I understand that as long as Im using preban mags... that it is legal...  
   Again thank you for your help... I'm sure you guys deal with this once a week with the new guys... And its good to see that you still dont mind awnsering the questions...
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Redpoint, where are you in NY. I usually try and go shooting Sundays at Calverton (Eastern Long Island)
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Vinnie... thanks for the offer... but I am about 3 hours north of the city.. Saratoga Springs/ Lake George... Mostly do my shooting up in the mountains... or at the ocasional gun club...  So if theres anyone on this sight from upstate area... send me an email...
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys would not believe how many people are confused by this law. I know a person who took a hammer to 3 preban Glock 17 mags because they thought they were violating the law. Damn. In a local gunshop once, they had a used Sig P226 for sale and it said "no mags". I asked to see the pistol and the guy said "well, I could sell you the mags, because you are a cop", and proceeded to show me the high cap preban mags for the Sig. I tried to explain to him that he could sell the mags with the pistol to anyone and he would NOT believe me! I'm telling you, I meet someone at least once a month who has it wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top