Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2001 8:29:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as the JB weld goes i dont know. But make sure to grind off the bayo lug on the preban upper.[bounce][heavy]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt's have two different sized takedown pins.  They can be mixed & matched with a variety of adapter pins & bushings.  Available from several vendors.  Not a problem once you get the adaptors.

The ATF sez they want 1100F or higher melting point for anything that keeps the threads covered.  JB Weld will do many things, but that's not one of them.  "better than baling wire" - A Kansas farmer.

The illegal parts of the upper would be the barrel threads, a flash supressor and a bayonet lug.  Zap those & you should be OK.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#3]
1. As long as your using a small hole upper, note: some early Colts' have different size pivot pin.

2. Thread muzzle and pin brake would be my suggestion.

3. What Glo1 said "grind Bayonet lug off" then it's legal, might want to be sure it doesn't have a M-16 carrier.

Good site for u to check out: [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go a step further and verify w/ ATF &/or a knowledgeable attorney, &/or a knowledgeable dealer. Don't get caught out by ignorance - the courts certainly won't cut you any slack.

I've always thought that the serial numbers were crucial because they relate to manufacturing dates, which are relevant to the grandfather clause issue. Modifications may be legal if the specific upper is reclassified to be post-ban compliant.

Remember: Verification before trust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top