Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 3:50:20 PM EDT
I live in upstate NY and I was wondering if anyone knew how far I had to be from say a school, or other people's houses to set up a small plinking range in my backyard. I have enough land to set up a 25 yard one, but right behind my property is an elementary school and I think that would be the only thing stopping me from building one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/27/2001 5:17:07 PM EDT by Troy]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:06:46 AM EDT
You might want to word your questions very carefully. I've heard that some towns/cities have 1000 feet "gun free zones" around schools, and you could technically be in violation in your own home. I do not know any details of the ordnances establishing these zones, but is something you should keep in mind as you ask about setting up a range.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:22:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SIGmund: You might want to word your questions very carefully. I've heard that some towns/cities have 1000 feet "gun free zones" around schools, and you could technically be in violation in your own home. I do not know any details of the ordnances establishing these zones, but is something you should keep in mind as you ask about setting up a range.
View Quote
In Michigan the enacted the 1000 foot (yard) "drug and gun free" zones, but it was eventually changed to drugs only... seems all the LEGAL gun-owners within range of the schools couldn't legally have the guns transported from their house to car, etc... Course, shooting it off anywhere near a school is totally different. No_Expert
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 1:45:51 PM EDT
I want to go to my town hall to go check up on noise laws and gun free school zone laws, I am guessing I would find the information I need there. I don't like the principal of the elementary school anyway, so what ever I could do to piss him off will just be one more plus. [}:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:36:39 PM EDT
If you live in a condo and want to blast beer cans off your porch railing with my .416 Rigby, just give me a call![^]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:55:12 PM EDT
Hehehe sounds like fun, I shoot my .22 in my backyard cause it isn't so loud. But I have been itching to shoot my ak at some game controllers and computer parts and I think it may be too loud.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:10:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JBR: ....but right behind my property is an elementary school and I think that would be the only thing stopping me from building one.
View Quote
Careful...the little brats will probably take cover behind the playground toys and shoot back.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:56:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2001 3:40:58 PM EDT by SBR7_11]
REFER to the ATF rules and regulations, (or refer to the ATF site) the section for the Gun Control Act of 1968, in the first part (I'm not home w/book) it has laws pertaining to possession of firearms w/in school zone (residence-1000 ft law), discharge on private property w/in the school zone. If I recall, may be legal, as long as engaged in lawful activity, NOT FIRING in the direction of the school. But may have state or local law to deal with...... (2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. (B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to the possession of a firearm -- (i) on private property not part of school grounds; (3)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm at a place that the person knows is a school zone. (B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to the discharge of a firearm -- (i) on private property not part of school grounds; (4) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preempting or preventing a State or local government from enacting a statute establishing gun-free school zones as provided in this subsection. This is a few bits from [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:08:41 AM EDT
500 feet from the residence of another person: New York Environmental Conservation Law Section 11-0931,4(a2): 4. a. No person shall: (2) discharge a firearm or long bow within five hundred feet from a dwelling house, farm building or farm structure actually occupied or used, school building, school playground, or occupied factory or church; at: [URL]http://www.megalaw.com/ny/nycodetoc.php3?QUERYDATA=$$ENV11-0931$$@TXENV011-0931[/URL]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:18:50 PM EDT
You need to investigate noise ordinances, "no discharge" ordinances, the aforementioned "500 foot" rule, etc. The most important factor is your neighbors. If they're too far away to care or they are cool about it, chances are you'll have no problems regardless of the legalities. If they complain, chances are you WILL have problems regardless of the legalities. If you have a school anywhere near you, I wouldn't be shooting anything bigger than a pellet rifle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:19:58 PM EDT
I think your best bet would be to buy a cabin on 50 acres in Wyoming.
Top Top