Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2001 6:13:47 PM EDT
Hi,

I read about a ruling a few months ago from the CA supreme court that said it was unconstitutional for the DOJ to rule out certain guns because of their features.

What can potentially happen because of this decision and does this mean I will be able to own an AR-15 in the near future?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
So what was that case about then?  SOme guy had a series-type rifle that wasn't listed by name and got nailed for it, challenged and won?

So what about the Fresno DA challenging SB23 is that an extension of this case, or a whole new thing that would strike down SB23 completely?

These damn laws are insane.  I never get the same answer when I ask anything about legality, procedure, etc. etc. etc.  The only answer I've gotten consistently is "Why would you need one of those?"

And my AR-15 will be for sporting purposes only dammit!  I want to get involved in the 3-gun scene and no I wont be leaving it around for home defense because of the nature of the way my apartment complex is constructed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#3]
So what about the Fresno DA challenging SB23 is that an extension of this case, or a whole new thing that would strike down SB23 completely?
View Quote

No, this is a new case just recently filed. NRA, CRPA, and at least two DA's are involved with the case. I think the jist of this suit is over the confusion of what's legal and what's not under SB23. Join CRPA and your membership will help fund cases like this. Plus you'll stay up to date on all the various cases and legislation as their newletter, The Firing Line, covers this.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can afford it go Life.

[url]http://www.crpa.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:57:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Finally, someone who took the time to read the judgement as I did. Skunkability you have it just about right. You, however, need to consider the CA '99 AW ban, and the Fed '94 AW ban. Both of these ban features. The CA '99 AW ban is more restrictive than the Feds. The Feds require three features to be a banned AW while CA only requires two. Read all about it at [url]caag.state.ca.us/firearms[/url]

Troy, I see you are finally coming around. As I said several times in the past two months that "Harrott vs. County of Kings" blew a big hole in the Roberti-Roos AW ban. The series ban that was added in later because of Lundgren not adding to the list is what was struck down by CASC.

So as I said earlier, the Fulton-Armory lower and others not specifically listed are legal in CA as long as you adhere to the features ban.

The beauty here is that if enough of us purchase these, then Lockyer will be forced to place that mfg/model on the list. Once he does this, then we would have 90 days to register the lower. Once we register the lower, we can put whatever features we want but only restricted by the Fed '94 AW ban which may sunset in 2004. Walla, you have your fully loaded AR rifle.

The only problem, as someone pointed out, is finding a CA FFL with balls. I should point out that I was not the creative thinker on this strategy. I first heard it from the guys at Cold War Relics in Monterry. They making some business plans around this until Kasler vs. Lockyer was lost. So, in effect, CASC switched their ruling in Harrott.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The only problem, as someone pointed out, is finding a CA FFL with balls. I should point out that I was not the creative thinker on this strategy. I first heard it from the guys at Cold War Relics in Monterry....
View Quote

I believe that would be me (among others) who pointed out the need to find an FFL with a pair.

I think Cold War Relics is out of business.  I bought a stripped PWA lower from them in July 2000, and when it was in "escrow" (10-day waiting period per Caliban) the DoJ issued a letter that listed it as an AW, then RESCINDED it just before my pickup day.  So I got it.  It got added to the list in September 2000, I registered it, and built up a nice post-ban.

CWR was about the only dealer at the Crossroads of the West who had the FORTITUDE to sell AR lowers.

You know, Osama bin Lockyer might read this thread and think to himself "Nya-ah-ahhhhhh!  I'll fix these guys' wagons by NEVER listing the Fulton lowers, or FALs, or Mini-14s, etc."
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe that Lockyer had to rescind any additions to the list until the Kasler judgement was issued. He was forced to do this.

However later, when the CASC judgement went his way. Lockyer added much to the list under great fanfare from the media (you probably recall this). I think the reason why you have your lower is Kasler.

ColdWarRelics was great and was run by a couple of classy guys and their wifes. I do miss them and did enjoy driving out to Monterry for pickup on occasion. In the dawn of newunconstitutional gun laws being inacted, you really get to know the dealers and what type they are.

The only ones left that may be willing is MN Armory. They were the first to sell FALs and G3 clones without the pistol grip. They do markup extremely so but that's the price we have to pay for FLLs with a pair as you state.

TSGunShows return this month to SJ. I will check with them if they are at the show.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]
M&N Armory, or Norm, is very hard to get in to see ... I live just a couple of miles from his shop. He comes in , posted hours anyway.., at like 10 goes to lunch at 11 till 3...closes at 6.  I have not been able to catch him in his shop for months. He is also as shady as a guy can be....
You will find him at the gun shows though....
He will sell your gun from under you, giving you a different rifle than you originally purchased.... did this to me and my friend... we both called him on it...

Hes got balls all right...
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
M&N Armory, or Norm,
Hes got balls all right...
View Quote

Isn't he the guy at the KA shows that sells SW3 and SW5s with hacked off pistol grips for $2500 or so??  
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, it sounds like your description is accurate. If he does go for the AR lower, he'll probably ask $900.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top