Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2001 8:23:55 AM EDT
I have seen some say that the auto sear by itself is a machinegun, now lets forget dropins and Llinks for this discussion. if a Colt made GI auto sear is included in the TAPCO kits and you buy a kit and sell the lower parts set on ebay with the sear is this wrong? if so how can TAPCO sell it to you? also the owner of this kit has no guns, no stripped lowers or anything at all in possesion, bought the kit to split up and sell to make some money only.

the phrase I hear is "any part designed or intended to convert a semiauto into full auto is a machinegun by itself" the GI sear was not designed or intended to convert a semi, it was for a machingun period. the GI sear cannot fit into a semi AR15 lower so I do not think it falls in this category.

I can see how you can say intent to construct if you had a AR15 and M16 parts but what if you had NO AR15 or any gun at all?
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The factory auto parts are not themselves a machinegun, and not illegal to possess if you don't have a semi-auto AR-15.

The "Drop-In Auto Sear" (DIAS) is a part designed and intended to convert a semiauto into a machinegun, so is a machinegun all by itself under the law, as is the Lightning Link.

In the case of the DIAS, ATF issued a ruling that if it was made before 11/81, then it's not taxed as a machinegun, but it's still illegal to possess along with a semi-auto AR-15.

So yes, if you don't have a semi-auto AR-15 around, there's nothing illegal about having the Tapco kit, or breaking it up to sell on Ebay.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank You!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:...So yes, if you don't have a semi-auto AR-15 around, there's nothing illegal about having the Tapco kit, or breaking it up to sell on Ebay.
View Quote

Just one word of caution.  If a buyer on eBay or anywhwere gives you even the slightest indication of intent to build an illegal machinegun, don't complete the transaction.  You don't want to become part of a conspiracy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
well I have a kit on ebay and get a response like this from some ebayer,
[b]Are you aware that you are breaking FEDERAL LAW by selling these items on EBAY or to anyone other than A FFL Class 3 licensee? Maybe that's why you have had ZERO bids on these full auto M-16 parts and yes they can be used to turn an AR15 into full auto, be advised and pull the auction![/b]

is this for real guys???
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
well I have a kit on ebay and get a response like this from some ebayer,
[b]Are you aware that you are breaking FEDERAL LAW by selling these items on EBAY or to anyone other than A FFL Class 3 licensee? Maybe that's why you have had ZERO bids on these full auto M-16 parts and yes they can be used to turn an AR15 into full auto, be advised and pull the auction![/b]

is this for real guys???
View Quote

It's a real crock.  Fails the simplest test of logic:

If it's illegal for you to sell those items on eBay than why was it legal for TAPCO to sell them to you? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If it's illegal for you to sell those items on eBay than why was it legal for TAPCO to sell them to you? [:D]
View Quote

well thats what am thinking but when somebody sends you an email like that and you arent 100% sure of yourself, then you have to ask.

View Quote

[b]when did that ever matter regarding firearms laws??[/b][:D]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b]when did that ever matter regarding firearms laws??[/b][:D]
View Quote

OK, you've got me there, but federal regulations make a LITTLE more sense than Caliban law.

[50]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I still have questions about the kits, but a friend told me to look in several of the shooting/gun supply catalogs and guess what!  they advertise m16 fire control parts and if you look on the gun auction type websites the parts are also advertised for sale.

Is it correct that a m16 disconnector will not fit in a ar15 lower?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...Is it correct that a m16 disconnector will not fit in a ar15 lower?
View Quote

Not exactly.  An M16 disconnector is not compatible with an AR-15 [b]trigger[/b] because the latter has no slot for the little tail on the disconnector.

An M16 disconnector (other than the weird A2 ones) can be made into an AR-15 disconnector by grinding off the tail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top