Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2008 12:35:17 PM EDT
Are BB guns and pellet rifles considered firearms in texas, and are they subject to the 12 acre minimum requirements?
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
whats a 12 acre minimum...i always heard you had to be 500 feet away from roads or other houses
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh, no...
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
This will depend on which state.

Bills are proposed all the time to make them considered as firearms. Some states have put age restrictions and distance restrictions from homes/property lines/streets/etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
They are not considered "firearms" according to federal law. However, in many states and local jurisdictions, they fall under a number of laws and regulations.   See the first link for gun laws, and see the second for contact info for state attorneys general, who should be able to answer any questions regarding state and local regulations on BB guns:

www.nraila.org/gunlaws

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
They use compressed air or gas, not gunpowder as a propellent, so technically they are not firearms.
I'm sure some douchebag politicans in some areas have deemed them so, or are trying to do so.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are BB guns and pellet rifles considered firearms in texas, and are they subject to the 12 acre minimum requirements?

No.

Texas Penal Code
Chapter 46.  Weapons

§ 46.01. Definitions.

In this chapter:  
(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:  
(A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or  
(B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.  

What is and where did you find a "12 acre minimum"?
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
You'll shoot your eye out kid.
That is all.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]
In New Jersey, they are.

But, that's New Jersey.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Texas Penal Code
Chapter 46.  Weapons

§ 46.01. Definitions.

In this chapter:  
(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:  
(A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or  
(B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.  

What is and where did you find a "12 acre minimum"?

So I am relieved about the BB/Pellet gun part.  It seems that I angered my neighbor this weekend.  I have been trying to shoot some very clever and nasty birds who insist on turning my house swiss cheese and nesting in the holes.  One particular bird flies away as soon as I come out the back door.  I have been trying to shoot this mongrel for weeks.  The last time he flew away, he landed in a tree branch 30ft above ground in my neighbors yard and stared defiantly at me.  So in frustration I shot at him and missed.  Unfortunately, by neighber happened to be standing under that tree and started yelling at me.  

Since it was time to leave anyways for my sunday hike, I decided to more promptly leave after mumbling something about sorry as I closed the back door.  As I pulled out of the drive way I saw a cop car circling around the parking lot accross the street from me, and as I drove further away, two other cop cars seemed to be going in the general direction of where I had just come.  I suspect that my angry neighbor had called to cops on me.  The good news is that nothing has happened since and that the pellet gun is locked away and will stay as such for some time to come.  I have given up trying to shoot that bird and will try poison instead in the holes that I can access.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
nj law it is a gun and you can go to jail as it if is a real gun   i love nj that why i moved
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Airguns are considered firearms in michigan only if they are capable of shooting pellets.  I guess pellets go BANG and bb's don't.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
nj law it is a gun and you can go to jail as it if is a real gun   i love nj that why i moved

only if it is "ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with
sufficient force to injure a person."  so make a 9.525mm bb gun, and you are fine.  What they consider injuring a person is probably up to interpretation.  With the right judge/jury, a spitball could hit someone in the eye and give them an infection and they get "injured", and it is then a "firearm" because it is it propelled by a gas.

A side note, there is a new bill here that would make airsoft guns firearms, and another that would make bb guns not firearms.  guess which one will make it to law.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top