Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2001 10:41:56 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting the Bush XM15E2S, but since it's post-ban, I "really really" want to have an authentic-looking muzzle brake on it.

I'm not sure about the "evilness" of a flash hider, why is it so bad?  Is it b/c it's threaded?  or that it could launch grenades?

There's a cheap A2 Bird Cage flashhider from Bushmaster, I have doubts about it being legal on post-bans, but I figure I'd ask about it here.  By the way, can anyone suggest to me a legal post-ban muzzle brake that "looks" like the A2 bird cage?  Links?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Check with Kurt's Kustom Firearms.  I think he had a few worth looking at.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Wilsom Combat Tactical Muzzle Brake on my post-ban and Im really happy with it.

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have to disagree with Paul on this one. You can attatch a muzzle brake to a postban rifle by threading the barel but then you must pin it to make it unremovable. When I send my Colt upper to Wilson Combat this is what they did. They threaded the end of my barrel and screwed the muzzle brake on and then through the set screw hole on the bottom of the brake they drilled a hole about a 1/4 to 3/16 of an inch into the barrel and put in the set screw. They then welded over the hole ground it smooth and refinished it. It works great and looks great, I couldnt ber happier with it. You can also use the above method ,as well as removing the bayo lug,to put a pre-ban upper onto a postban lower.

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Paul is correct - if no flash suppressor exists for a certain thread, that thread is completely legal on a postban.  It's only threads [b]for[/b] a flash suppressor which are a listed feature.

If a flash suppressor later becomes available in that thread, though, the threads are then illegal and must be removed or covered permanently.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I understand what your saying Circuits, but thats not the way that I read what Paul posted even though that may be what he was trying to say. The way I read it is that no muzzle brake my be attached with threads AND the muzzle brake must be of a diameter that rifle grenades cannot be used on the brake. It doesnt say anything about the size and pitch of the threads and if it did it would still be wrong becuase I can put a Wilson Combat Tactical Muzzzle brake on a pre-ban upper "WITHOUT A BAYO LUG" screw it on with the same theads that were used for the A2 birdcage and as long as I use the set screw and weld over it it is considered permanently attached and as such is legal.

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I understand what your saying Circuits, but thats not the way that I read what Paul posted even though that may be what he was trying to say. The way I read it is that no muzzle brake my be attached with threads AND the muzzle brake must be of a diameter that rifle grenades cannot be used on the brake. It doesnt say anything about the size and pitch of the threads and if it did it would still be wrong becuase I can put a Wilson Combat Tactical Muzzzle brake on a pre-ban upper "WITHOUT A BAYO LUG" screw it on with the same theads that were used for the A2 birdcage and as long as I use the set screw and weld over it it is considered permanently attached and as such is legal.

BKVic
View Quote
see kurts website. you can have a threaded barrel as long as it is not "threaded for a flash suppressor" or a grenade launcher. m-16 flash hider looses on both accounts, because the flash hider can be used to launch a grenade. I am sending my ar into Kurt to have reverse pitch thread put on the barrel and to have one of his custom brakes threaded the same. He already said he could do it with no problem.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]
How about using JB Weld to permanently fix the brakes onto the barrel?  It seems to make it legal for post-ban AK-47's to have brakes attached.

And anyone know a link to Kurt's Kustom Firearms?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
ATF specifically disallows the use of adhesives for purposes of permanently attaching muzzle devices to remove barrel threads from consideration under 922(v) - whether for AK's or AR's.

The only approved attachment methods for purposes of removing barrel threads from consideration under 922(v) are:
1) blind pin and weld over the pin
2) high temp (1100F) silver solder
3) 4 or more equidistant spot welds
4) seam weld over at least half the circumference of the muzzle device.

If there are no barrel threads to cover, such as when using a slip-on brake secured by set screws, then the use of adhesives to help secure the installation of a post-ban muzzle device is of no concern to the ATF. Only when a threaded device is being permanently attached to cover the barrel threds is the attachment method important.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Both Cavalry Arms and Wilson Combat make a MB that looks alot like the A2 birdcage flash hider, but with a restricted muzzle end. They both are BATF approved and of significant diameter as to not be able to accomodate a GL. Brownells has both items. Part # are 100-000-189 ($25)and 965-000-007 ($35).
The most realistic one is made by EGW it goes for about $50 #296-201-017. All are for 1/2"x28
threads. All must be attached by the BATF approved methods as stated by circuits.
Call Bushy and ask them if they will install your MB if you send it to them before they build your rifle.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top