Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2001 2:21:05 PM EDT
At a gun show I attended this past weekend I saw a dealer selling some 30rnd. AR mags for $15.  The catch (I think) was that they were date stamped 06/01 (June of this year).  The guy said he ordered them for a police dept. that backed out and that he could sell them to me just fine (I'm not an LEO).

I passed on these obviously, but now I'm wondering if I missed a good deal or if I avoided a bunch of potential problems.

loonybin
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Not buying them was probably a very good idea!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
loonybin, you passed the test.  Congrats!  You are wise indeed.

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Either he's really stupid or they're trying to catch someone really stupid.

Good to stay away.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:50:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Me:  "Isn't it illegal to sell these to civilians?"
Not-too-bright dealer: "Well, sir, I have a license so I can legally posess them.  I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for owning these.  They just won't do it."
Me:  "Yeah, but I don't have a license(FFL), so can I legally own them?"
Ntb dealer: "Well... they're a great price.  These are in better shape and cost less than some of the beat up old ones at this show."

My other voice:  "Danger, Will Robinson!  Danger!  Red Flag!  Exit stage right to next table -- fast!"
 I didn't even bother buying the obviously pre-ban Beretta mags that he had for sale.  Something about giving business to a possibly unethical dealer.  I'm glad I passed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I think this occurs on a fairly regular basis, last weekend at Tulsa I saw some brand spankin' new mil-spec AR mags, and being the freak for AR's that I am I inquire for a price.  Dealer says I'll take $12 each, at this point my heart jumps, then dealer says they are LE only, but they are'nt marked very well barely see it at all.  I'm thinking "yeah, I bet the ATF could find it".  After all this I see the ATF has their own table set up with about a half dozen guys setting behind it, right next to the FBI's NICS table!  Crips!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top