Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/17/2001 8:04:40 PM EDT
I have been trying to figure this one out for a while and I know 10 or less foreign parts exempts a gun. But since the ATF decides what's sporting, what can a foreign gun have if it has more than 10 parts ? I have heard a Thumbhole Stock is considered sporting. Is this true ? If so I could just slap a thumbhole on an AK-47 to make it 89 Ban Legal ? If somebody has a list, I'd like to know what is considered Sporting and Non-Sporting. I have been trying to find a list for a while.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:26:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:26:40 AM EDT
I am not arguing symantecs here. AK-47, MAK-90, SAR-1/2, RPK. They are all AK-47 Clones. What I am talking about is a Romanian RPK Parts Kit. [url]http://www.interordnance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=INTERORDNANCE.com&Product_Code=RPKKIT&Category_Code=Parts+Kits[/url] I have seen these kits relatively cheap, but replacing the parts necessary to bring them under 10 parts would cost as much as buying a MAK-90 in the store. I was asking if it is considered sporting if you assemble a Romanian AK Parts Kit on a Semi-Auto. US Made Receiver with No Sear Hole and use a Thumbhole Stock rather than the standard Buttstock and Pistol Grip.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:32:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/18/2001 11:34:02 AM EDT by Tex78]
Here's the problem with that. The previous administration added an exec. order to the import laws in 1996, prohibitiong the import of a thumbhole rifle(or any other coplete rifle) that accepted pre-ban hicap mags. By assebling a rifle using a hi-cap US receiver, and more than 10 imported parts (from the 89 list) you will create a rifle that would be un-importable, so in violation of the stupid law. -Remember- If you make an "imported" rifle that is in a config that would not be importable, it's in violation of the law. So just look aroud, prowl the AK boards for some info on where to get quality parts at a resonable price, and make a US rifle out of it. Edited to add "US hi-cap reciever"
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:20:38 PM EDT
Damn, I didn't realize CLinton snuck that one in there. That sucks. That must be why the prices of Thumbholes are going up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:23:38 PM EDT
I just wish that someone could organize well enough to get some of the 'silly' laws off of the books.
Top Top