Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2001 8:16:26 PM EDT
Hello all..
Please forgive in advance for a question that has probably been asked many times over. I have a verified Bushmaster Pre-ban(complete rifle) that has telescoping stock and a 16" HBAR with A1 flash suppressor originally. If I want to put a Bushy flat-top upper with 14.5" HBAR or M4 and A2 flash on does the flash suppressor have to be welded and pinned? Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
No. So long as it was a complete rifle built prior to the ban of '94.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What about the 16" rule?

jim
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#4]
So...does this mean just as long as the total length is 16" or longer it is legal? I DON'T have to make the FS permanent? this would great as I could interchange suppressors...vortex, A2 etc.. always maintaining 16"+ And yes...the Bushmaster left the factory as an assembles rifle...Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The standard A2 flash suppressor will bring the overall barrel length to about 15.5 inches.  You need to add a permanently fixed muzzle device like a Phantom, Vortex, Kurt's "A3" or one of the really ugly brakes to make it legal.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
16" permanently.  Period.  Unless it is registered as a SBR or pistol.  Now if your barrel was 16" at the end of the thread, then you could swap flash hiders.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey...Thank you very much to all who replied....I actually wound up chatting with and old buddy tonight who I had not talked to for some time (3years!!).. he's a machinist and it seems he well....lets just say his AR was burping in 3's a few months ago. Busted...very costly...but he stayed out of the big house. Apparently his mod malfunctioned when the ATF fired the weapon and they could not consistenly get it to burp in 3's. Anyway the last post's ARE correct. The barrel must exceed 16" min..period...flash hider or not so if it's a 14.5...the FS must be preminately attached so that overall length meets or exceeds 16". I have heard the gospel...:) I posted another question in the building section but I'll ask here also...Can someone who has a Bushmaster 16" M4 barrel please tell me exactly what is stamped on the top of it...? M MP 5.56, etc. etc. etc..???Thanks!!!!

ACB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top