Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2001 10:44:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The BATF accepted methods of attaching a threaded muzzle brake are to silver solder it on using high temperature silver solder, blind pin it in place with a hardened pin, welding or blind pinning and welding.

Did I get them all?
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never heard of ATF accepting just a pin - the approved methods I've seen in writing are:

1) Silver solder with high temp (1100F) silver solder.
2) four or more equidistant spot welds
3) seam weld over 50% of the brake's circumference
4) blind pin and weld over the pin.

Chemical adhesives and simple pinning (without welding over the pin) have never been approved to my knowledge.

Dave_G:  If you've got a reference to simple pinning being accepted, I'd appreciate a link.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1) Silver solder with high temp (1100F) silver solder.
2) four or more equidistant spot welds
3) seam weld over 50% of the brake's circumference
4) blind pin and weld over the pin.

View Quote

Olympic does it differently.  They use 4 set screws, that are Loktited in place, fitting into a groove that has been machined into the barrel.

Mark

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:52:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#7]
budam is this on a threaded barrel.
View Quote

No, its not on a threaded barrel. Attached this way its actually removeable. You must permanently cover the threads and this way will not do.
The barrel he speaks of is a postban.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
budam:  As noted above, if there are no threads on the muzzle, the brake doesn't have to be permanently attached for post-ban legality.

The object of permanent attachment on a post-ban is to cover the otherwise forbidden 'threads for a flash suppressor'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top