Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2001 6:15:19 PM EDT
If someone offers to build you an SBR on a POST BAN lower, threads on the barrel and a CAR stock, based on everything I have read, including on this site, that is wrong for so many reasons.  Obviously the ATF would nto even approve that.  I am wondering if I should turn this info over to the ATF?  I have the offer in writting (an e-mail).  Of course they could always say they meant to say "pre ban".  But we had a series of messages go back and forth.  I was very clear on my questions.

Second issue is I would guess he (she?) never intends to build the gun, just get people to go to paypal and send money.  Some comments I have seen here on AR15.com would reinforce that thought.

In 18 months of hanging around this site I have seen and read a lot of good perspectives here, so now I am asking for some input.

Zoub
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
VA-Gunnut  Thanks for a quick response.  There was no doubt it was going to be an SBR, with CAR and threads on barrel, all on a Pre ban lower.  I won't be having any problems because I won't be needing any more clarification from them.

My concern is I found them through AR15.com while researching psitol caliber uppers.  I have a lot of experience with the law and lawyers because I own a business that requires I listen to what my attorneys tell me.  So I read things many times over, like the advice found here.  If someone did not do that, they might believe what they were told, and they would be out the money via pay-pal and I am sure the gun would never be built.  Their money would be gone.

Basically I was told I had nothing to worry about because NFA weapons are not covered by the AW ban.  This from an outfit that makes silencers too?  That is not what you guys say here.  That is not how I read it from the ATF.  I will just say I am leaning towards Olympic if I get a pistol caliber upper.

Zoub
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Basically I was told I had nothing to worry about because NFA weapons are not covered by the AW ban.  

Zoub
View Quote

If you ever had the misfortune of believing this bullshit, you would perform an ass-pucker when you recieved your Form 1 back in the mail from the BATF with the little love note in the left-hand corner stating, "APPROVED (with the following conditions):

THE MANUFATURE, TRANSFER, AND POSSESSION OF SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS MUST BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH 18 USC 922(V)."

Don't believe the hype.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#4]
"And that my friends is the rest of the story".  

Actually, I think this would have qualified to be the very rare and seldom seen Double-ass-pucker with a summersault. As I would have been reading the form 1 you mentioned the next thought is, of course my money is gone too!  If it swims like a DALphin and it looks like a dolPHON it must be an Olympic.

Now I am off to find a pre-ban lower.  Looks like I need to own at least one of them to make the SBR I really want.

Thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad we could help.  When you find the lower and you're ready to complete the Form 1, email me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]
IMO that's the only reason in the world to spend the extra money for a pre-ban!  They sure are alot of fun!  Good luck.
SteveinVA, did you try out one of those 141's yet?
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#7]
CIB,

Gonna get one this coming week.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Steve-in-VA  Thanks for the offer to help.  It's you VA guys that drug me into the AR stuff in the first place.  I wanted one all my life, but didn't buy one until my brother moved to VA.  By the time you go to all the guns shops and ranges in Virginia Beach area and go out to visit Blackwater Lodge, it's hard to not own an AR.

I could probably do this on a post ban, but then the fantasy of ever having a silencer would be gone.  I also do not understand why I never see CAR stocks that are pinned in the shortened position.  But I noticed Treetop is making shortened stocks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Zoub,

No problem.  And you're right about this area- hard not to be into ARs.  Lot's of gun stores, ranges and gun clubs.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#10]
By the time you go to all the guns shops and ranges in Virginia Beach area and go out to visit Blackwater Lodge, it's hard to not own an AR.

Whats blackwater lodge?  And how do you copy text from someones post and have it show up as "originally posted by.."? And what's the frequency kenneth?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Whats blackwater lodge?  And how do you copy text from someones post and have it show up as "originally posted by.."? And what's the frequency kenneth?
View Quote

I think he just means the Blackwater range.

Curt, if you want to use the "Originally Posted by . . .", don't just hit "reply" when you want to post, go to the posters reply you are going to quote and hit the icon " " above the reply and take it from there.

Are you from the Tidewater area?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I think he just means the Blackwater range.

Curt, if you want to use the "Originally Posted by . . .", don't just hit "reply" when you want to post, go to the posters reply you are going to quote and hit the icon " " above the reply and take it from there.

Are you from the Tidewater area?
View Quote

Thanks for the tip steve.  No i'm from the NOVA area, Lorton to be specific tho i spent some time a lifetime ago at Little Creek NAB.  I take it Blackwater range is in the tidewater area?  Always looking for a good range (3 ain't enough).
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Curt,

No problem.

Actually, Blackwater is just over the NC border in Currituck Coutny (YEEEEEHAW!).  If you want to shoot around here, Lynnhaven shooting range is good.  They are also have a long range set up in Pungo (just north of Knotts Island).

If in the area, email me and I'll shoot with you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
..If in the area, email me and I'll shoot with you.
View Quote

Same to ya, quantico has a 300 yd range i shoot at (at a wimpy 100yds) and there is the NRA HQ range, only 50yds but indoors and nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top