Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 12:08:14 PM EDT
I'm going there this week. I don't want to leave Mr. Armalite at home. Does anyone know if registered ass. weapons are 'allowed' in the Stanislaus National Forest of Northern California??? Overall the forest seems to be pretty gun-friendly.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Call the rangers and ask them.  They are the best authority on the subject.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone know if registered ass. weapons are 'allowed' in the Stanislaus National Forest of Northern California??? Overall the forest seems to be pretty gun-friendly.

Thanks,
Mike
View Quote

Mike, I spent a week about 1 mile north of Jawbone Falls in June, put 500 rounds through my AR, and didn't see a soul.  I stopped by the Groveland USFS station for a campfire permit on the way in, asked if the evil gun was OK, and ranger-lady told me "there shouldn't be a problem".

hanko

Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I would call the distict supervisor in that area and get the ok from him.i did the same for the barstow area and he said it was ok as long as the gun was registered and to shoot in a shooting approved area i would have no probs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks to me like the Stanislaus National Forest is a "Firearms Friendly" forest.
The rules are listed on this web page with the reminder to check with the District Ranger.

"Practice safe firearms use while on the Stanislaus National Forest:

Stay more than 150 yards from any campground, building or other occupied area before shooting.

Aim away from other people, campsites, campgrounds, houses or other buildings.

Ensure that animals, plants and other forest resources will not be injured or damaged.

Trees, signs, glass bottles, and clay pigeons are never appropriate targets.

Have a solid dirt backstop; see the entire path of your bullet; ensure that no objects that could cause a ricochet are within your line of fire.

Be off roads and trails when you shoot, and aim away from lakes, ponds and streams.

Retrieve all shell casings and targets before leaving.

While the Stanislaus National Forest does not have any area set aside for target shooting, some Forest visitors have found that certain areas are more desirable for firearms use than others. Contact the nearest Ranger Station for information on such places."

[url]http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/stanislaus/visitor/firearms.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Just a follow-up note for those interested...

I called the Summit Ranger District and later got a return phone call from the 'law enforcement guy' on 9-17. He was very nice and said there would be no problem, but to please keep a copy of the reg. paper handy in case I was asked.
Anyway, I was up there from 9-20 through 9-28 and had the Armalite around the campfire every night. The Stanislaus is AR friendly.
- Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top