Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2001 3:34:42 PM EDT
Okay, I'm sure this has been asked or discussed before, but I don't really have the time to search through the archives looking for past discussions.

Question:  Is it legal for a Kalifornia resident to travel out of state, purchase an ar15, if the rifle is not ever brought into the state?  Does it matter if it's a private party transfer or not?

Is it legal to buy any type of firearm out of one's state of residence?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
No. It's not legal to go to another state to buy a weapon that is illegal in your state of residence.

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You cannot buy a gun in another state that isn't legal in both that state and your state of residence. You can, though I'm not sure if Kali allows it buy a gun that is legal in Kali. in a contigous state.

By the way, what's going on with the court decision regarding Series bans. If it did overturn the law then you should be able to get an AR-15 in Kali. if anybody is willing to risk it. But, it wouldn't have a Pistol Grip.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No more AR's[:(]

The only way you can buy a hand gun or (non assault) rifle from out of state is to have it shipped to a CA FFL and then go through the paper work and back ground check through them.

This is for CA residents only.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW, there are some Kali legal ARs, such as a Single-Fire AR that cannot accept a magazine. i wonder if you hold the mag in place if one of those would fire semi-auto.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
There are NOW legal AR's, those that are not on the official ban list.  Due to the "series" re-definition by the SC, any manufacture not specifically listed is legal, sans pistol grip.  Or a lower only with pistol grip is legal.

All we need now is DOJ approval [v]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top