Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2001 10:37:21 PM EDT
I'm wondering how a person "proves" their AW is a REGISTERED AW if questioned at a gun range or during a traffic stop in California. Did the firearm receive markings? Is there some kind of card or permit to carry? Thanks
WSmac
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You get back a document from the Cal-DOJ stating the that the firearms are registered.  It's a good idea to have these docs or copies of these docs with you at all times.  

However, when you shoot on private ranges, the range masters don't ask as long as you are following the rules.  

You do, however, get the idiot know-it-all who walks up to you and says, "Hey, isn't that illegal to shoot in PRK?"  
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You get back a document from the Cal-DOJ stating the that the firearms are registered.  It's a good idea to have these docs or copies of these docs with you at all times.  

However, when you shoot on private ranges, the range masters don't ask as long as you are following the rules.  

You do, however, get the idiot know-it-all who walks up to you and says, "Hey, isn't that illegal to shoot in PRK?"  
View Quote

Like he said, although I've never had anyone ask me if it was illegal or not.
The document basically states
1.Your name
2.Address
3.serial #
4.Make
5.Model
6.Type
7.Caliber
8.The penal code that restricts the use of a lawfully registered AW[s]-12285
9.That the disposal/relinquishment of a reg. AW[s] is specifically restricted by the Roberti-Roos AWCA by penal code 12275
.10 How you may notify the CADOJ of disposal
.11 and any questions can be answered by calling a certain number.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
How in God's name do you guys put up with all the F$%^&^%$ING commies over there?

I have not been there in years and they still make me mad!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Makes me wonder where all those unregistered AW's in California are being shot. Those who live in rural places have a better opportunity to shoot in private. It'd be a shame to have an AR and be afraid to take it out for some range practice. I hope the recent ruling helps out in some positive way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot a High Power match a few weeks ago where I was one of only 2 civilians among approximately 25 LEO from all over CA. Most from SF and LA. They all knew I was not LEO and was shooting an AR. All were nice and not a one ever asked if I had registered my AR. Some did mention that they thought it was one of the most worthless pieces of BS law to ever pass.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're shooting your AR (or other Roberti-Roos or SB23 AW) on a public/municipal range, your papers may well be required.  Such ranges are often administered by Parks & Rec rangers (with police powers) or sherriff's dept.

At the public range I know of (Coyote Pt, in San Mateo) you won't shoot if you don't have your papers.  Could even lead to it being "called in" - so only bring those reg'd guns.

-Bill
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I ran my reg letter through my scanner and shrunk it down to about 3x5 size and keep it in my case. It isn't required to show your papers to anyone, possibly the DOJ. If there was a range which required it I'd be inclined to push it and not show it. Let them call Law Enforcement and force them to file a complaint. Then you should have action against them. Do they ask every person if they are in legal possession of their firearms or did they single out you? They are not Law Enforcement and should be very careful about accusing people of crimes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...I place a copy of "mein paperz" in the buttstock of each of my ARs....
View Quote

That's funny, but sad.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're shooting your AR (or other Roberti-Roos or SB23 AW) on a public/municipal range, your papers may well be required.  Such ranges are often administered by Parks & Rec rangers (with police powers) or sherriff's dept.

At the public range I know of (Coyote Pt, in San Mateo) you won't shoot if you don't have your papers.  Could even lead to it being "called in" - so only bring those reg'd guns.

-Bill
San Mateo, CA

View Quote

How is this possible when all registrations have not been completed yet?
View Quote

Are you serious? I received mine in May and thought that that was way too long. How many people in this state have not received their documents yet?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...We can be pretty sure that they aren't finished as there haven't been any numbers announced.
View Quote

The DoJ has no obligation to announce any numbers, and I'd bet a pint of Guinness Stout they won't.  It would be too embarrassing to the Legislature.

Did they ever formally announce the number of registrations under Roberti-Roos?  I don't believe they did.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I heard the DOJ sent these individuals letters stating they'd be contacting them as there was an issue with the registrations and they were stuck on the bottom of the pile.
If I was one of these individuals, I'd still take my gun to the range and enjoy it.
Of course, I still see people almost every weekend I go out shooting there SKSes with detachable mags -- "But officer, I swear it's an AK-47/Saiga."

We can be pretty sure that they aren't finished as there haven't been any numbers announced.

View Quote

I sent mine in for 1 gun on January 23, the absolute last day.  Inquired as to wtf was the paperwork in April.  At that time, DOJ lady allowed that she thought applications without "problems" would be finished by late fall; those with issues would probably be finished by end of this year or maybe a month or so into 2002.

hanko
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#19]
While you certainly bring up a good point, which is that individual ranges can make up most any rule they like, it should be noted that showing your paperwork to anyone but a jury in a trial is NOT legally required. AWs in question (by the police) are supposed to have their serial numbers ran.
View Quote

Actually, you are never [b]legally[/b] required to show the AW registration papers to anyone.  If you have the proper proof of registration and you don't have a copy in your possession when traveling about with your firearms, you are an idiot.  If the serial numbers can't be run due to some technical difficulty, the weapon may be seized until it can be verified that it is registered.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I know it's not required to carry the registration papers with you although I do have a copy in the buttstock of the AR's.

I also carry my drivers license, my California CCW, and my California hunting license. I like to cover all the bases when I'm out with my firearms so as to leave little room for bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I talked to a fellow at the DoJ a couple weeks ago and he said it looks like the final number of registrations is going to be about 50k.

Far cry from the .5 to 2 million AW's out there. The guy also said it was a real shame to make people go through this BS as it is going to do nothing for crime. Good to here stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shucks Alex,
If I answered that question, I might be admitting I don't have dem paperz yet.
I'd say 2, for sure.
I heard the DOJ sent these individuals letters stating they'd be contacting them as there was an issue with the registrations and they were stuck on the bottom of the pile.
View Quote

I am one of those unfortunate individuals whose registration has been on
hold by the DOJ. But as of 9/24/01, I will be the proud new resident of IDAHO! Screw Kalifornia.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#23]
What is a LEO?
i have seen this name (LEO) from time to time
if some one can tell me  
thank you for your time
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#24]
SuperBull,

Glad to help...

[b]L[/b]aw [b]E[/b]nforcement [b]O[/b]fficer.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Did California pass the assault weapon buy back bill? I heard only a very small percentage of assault owners registered those rifles.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Sparhawk, welcome (well soon enough anyway).  Where you staking a claim?  We have AR15.com members in just about all corners of the state.  Scratch paid me a visit last year and is contemplating a move out of PRK.  Don't be a stranger.  Planerench out. (Hear me on AM670 KBOI or 97.9 KQFC)
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top