Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2001 3:34:24 PM EDT
I was wondering if the laws regarding the interstate shipment/sale of handguns is the same as long guns? If I live in NYS and want to sell a handgun to a resident of another state, can I just ship the handgun out of New York via UPS to the buyer's local FFL in his/her state of residence? Or do I need to ship from FFL to FFL? Thanks guys and gals in advance for your assistance.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:14:27 PM EDT
Yes you can ship it directly to an FFL for any lawful purpose providing the FFL will receive it from a non-licensee. Check with your pistol permit licensing officer to find out what documentation you need for the disposition when you amend your permit. It varies by county.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 5:27:43 PM EDT
Thank you sir, that was exactly the info I was looking for. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:02:36 PM EDT
Just a little CYA. Get a copy of the FFL's license signed in ink and retain it for your records. Check to make sure he/she's a valid FFL and verify the shipping address on the ATF website or use the 800 number.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:38:52 AM EDT
Good point, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:51:21 AM EDT
OK, slight problem here. I called the pistol permit office of my county Sheriff's Dept. today and asked about what documents are needed to amend my permit for the disposal/sale of a registered handgun. The officer told me that if it's an in-state sale, I need to sumbit the green purchaser "coupon" and if it is out of state, I have to provide the receipt from the NYS FFL dealer I shipped through. So, according to the county Sheriff's Dept. I need to ship from FFL to FFL. When I questioned this, she told me that although one can ship a long gun out of state as long as it is going to an FFL dealer, handguns must ship from FFL to FFL. Unfortunately, this is what I was trying to avoid. I'm guessing this is incorrect info, however her department handles pistol permit matters so I guess I'm SOL. Dealing with multiple FFL dealers is a nightmare I've been through and would rather not repeat. Thanks again rkbar15 for the help. B MAN
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:02:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BMANSAR15: OK, slight problem here. I called the pistol permit office of my county Sheriff's Dept. today and asked about what documents are needed to amend my permit for the disposal/sale of a registered handgun. The officer told me that if it's an in-state sale, I need to sumbit the green purchaser "coupon" and if it is out of state, I have to provide the receipt from the NYS FFL dealer I shipped through. So, according to the county Sheriff's Dept. I need to ship from FFL to FFL. When I questioned this, she told me that although one can ship a long gun out of state as long as it is going to an FFL dealer, handguns must ship from FFL to FFL. Unfortunately, this is what I was trying to avoid. I'm guessing this is incorrect info, however her department handles pistol permit matters so I guess I'm SOL. Dealing with multiple FFL dealers is a nightmare I've been through and would rather not repeat. Thanks again rkbar15 for the help. B MAN
View Quote
those are the rules... whomever told you that you didn't need to use an instate dealer was wrong... It doesn't have to be an FFL in NY, just a state dealer with a dealers book (even though I'm sure all will be FFLs also) so he can book the gun off of your license...
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:52:53 PM EDT
BMANSAR15: Let's just say then that while there's no FEDERAL requirement to ship a handgun FFL to FFL, it may be that NYS requires it. States and cities/counties are free to enact more restrictive laws than those enacted by the feds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:53:42 PM EDT
BMANSAR15: Politely ask the Sheriff's Office where the NYS statute, regulation or local law states that handguns in NYS must be shipped from a NYS FFL holder to an out of state FFL holder. AFAIK the FFL shipping requirement is for transfer INTO NYS not OUT of NYS. I have stated this numerous times that you always need to verify the local laws in your jurisdiction in NY before you do anything. What's legal on one side of a street maybe illegal on the other side of the street! I will check with my counties licensing division tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:18:13 PM EDT
Circuits - Wouldn't that be considered interstate commerce, which I always thought only the federal government (by law) can regulate? rkbar15 - I'm interested to know what your county's licensing office says in regards to this matter. In any case, I completely agree with you about double checking all state and local laws before doing anything (especially when it concerns firearms). That's why I called the Sheriff's Department this afternoon. Thanks men.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:01:52 PM EDT
In this case, the state could make it a statutory requirement for keeping your pistol permit up-to-date. I'm not saying it's right, just that I can imagine a legal justification. I think it's stupid to have to get a permit to purchase a handgun - but it's the law in NYS, too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:57:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2001 4:57:27 AM EDT by rkbar15]
The NYSP maintain a database of all firearm transactions in NYS. When you amend your permit you must specify the disposition of a firearm you are removing from your permit. The choices are: LICENSE# - For transfer to another permit holder DEALER LICENSE# - For transfer to a FFL dealer SHIELD# - For transfer to a LEO If it's been lost or stolen you must provide a police report to that effect. [b]We need a preemption law in NYS.[/b]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:58:04 AM EDT
I think that's what it is... you need to do it in order to keep your permit up to date. Remember, they keep a record of all handguns you have in NYS. When I left NY, however, they told me it was ok to simply send in a letter stating that I moved out of state and took the guns with me (had to send the letter in with my license, of course).
Top Top