Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2001 6:31:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2001 7:48:21 PM EDT by ColtFan345]
Copy of e-mail I received for your information. Edited to 3500 Chars. * * * * 2ndAmendmentNews * * * * WHITE HOUSE UNRESPONSIVE ON GUN BAN SUNSET By Weldon Clark This affects the nation. So far the Bush White House has refused to answer the following letter from South Carolina Representative Dwight Loftis. It is published here with his permission. They have also refused to answer by personal letter on the same subject. It is up to you to send in your letters to President Bush and your own congressman to get them to stand up for our rights. E-mail will not do the job here. DO NOT ASSUME THEY WILL TAKE OUR SIDE. Place them on record with your own US mail letter. Also send your own letter to your own Congressman. This ban effects almost all the rifles used in rifle competition (except small bore) including the state and national matches, collecting and guns used for hunting. From The 2ndAmendmentNews Team You can call your two Senators at (202) 224-3121 and your Representative at (202) 225-3121 at the Capitol Switchboard. U. S. Attorney General John Ashcroft, U.S. Depart. Of Justice 950 Pennsylvania Ave., NW Washington, DC 20530-0001 AskDOJ@usdoj.gov President George W. Bush, The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20500 president@whitehouse.gov To spread the word call Rush Limbaugh at 800-282-2882 and callers may call in from 12 noon to 3PM EST, M-F Letter from House of Representatives State of South Carolina Dwight A. Loftis District No. 19 – Greenville County August 16, 2001 ----------------- President George W. Bush 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington, DC 20500 Dear President Bush: It has come to my attention that some of your White House staff has indicated that you support continuation of the so-called assault weapons ban of 1994. I understand this band will sunset in 2004. In 1994 Congress passed an importation and manufacture ban on the very type firearms that the U.S. Supreme Court said were protected by the Constitution in their U.S. vs. Miller decision in 1939. The America people rewarded this unconstitutional behavior in Congress by electing Republican majorities in both Houses in 1994 for the first time in 40 years. Your Attorney General John Ashcroft was reported to have said that an exception to allow support of firearms laws is of compelling government interest. I submit to you that in the case of the so-called assault weapons ban, no such compelling government interest exist. In the South Carolina General Assembly, I was the House sponsor of a successful repeal of a ban on the ownership and possession of rifles, pistols and shotguns that were made under contract to the United States Government. This law covered many more firearms than the law in California and the federal ban on so-called assault firearms. Firearms owners were very pleased and there was no protest from the media or anyone else. No additional crimes were credited to this repeal. Nothing bad happened. I would ask your consideration to allow this ban to sunset as scheduled in 2004. Sincerely, Dwight A. Loftis * * * * * DIRECT ACTION is grassroots activism at its best! Please feel free to forward and circulate this newsletter! And check out these other grassroots projects in the network .... Learn "What To Do If The Police Come To Confiscate Your Militia Weapons" at http://www.SecondAmendment.net
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 6:02:39 PM EDT
Think I should email my senators or hope they don't find out about it? <----- Bad, bad state!
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:00:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:28:47 AM EDT
While we may look at this issue as constitutional and an infringement on our rights, the politicians, President Bush included, are looking at it as a political issue. I think they will keep quiet as long as is politically prudent, weigh the effect it will have on their chances of reelection and decide then what they will do. I'm willing to bet most of them could give a crap about this issue except as it will hurt or help them in the next ellection. If the majority of public opinion seems in favor to renew the ban then it will be renewed. Our only chances to have this ban die off will be to educate everyone how ridiculous it really is, the problem will be that we are fighting closed minded people who look at this as one step in eliminating private firearm ownership.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:49:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By david_r: Think I should email my senators or hope they don't find out about it? <----- Bad, bad state!
View Quote
I wouldn't mail squat to Feinstein or Boxer. Its a waste of time and postage, as they could care less. As far as President Bush and Attorney General Ashcroft are concerned, you may want to hold off a while as they obviously have much bigger things on their minds these days.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:16:15 PM EDT
I agree with semiauto... don't mail fineswine or boxher. Why alert them to oppose us?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:36:58 PM EDT
The people in the White House are a bit busy just now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:14:33 PM EDT
Dave_G, thank you for stating the obvious. Post was made days BEFORE this terrible tragedy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:25:52 PM EDT
ColtFan, I was responding in agreement with semiauto. Your initial post was made before the attacks. All of the responses were made after the attacks. If your rude and insulting response to my post is indicative of your behavior in general, I would ask that you not attempt to contact anyone "on the fence." It would likely aid in driving them over to the other side. You may have started this thread, but the only control you have over the direction it takes is to delete it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:53:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ColtFan345: Dave_G, thank you for stating the obvious. Post was made [red]days[/red] BEFORE this terrible tragedy.
View Quote
Really?? days?? need I go on? If POTUS is silent on this do you think it is because he knows if he does NOTHING the ban goes away?? Why give the anti's time to start a campaign to replace the AW Ban. Silence may just be golden.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:57:04 AM EDT
Dave_G. There is nothing rude or insulting about my latest post. I am very saddened by your response though. We are all on these forums for one basic reason. We ALL have something in common. We all believe in life and liberty, we all believe in the Second Amendment, we all believe the AR series of rifles regardless of manufacturer are some of the best ever made. I live twenty minutes away from New York City and for the past week every time I go off to work I can smell the fire/smoke in the air. This affected every American and it isn't about you or me. This is greater than life and will affect us, our children and grandchildren for generations to come. WE have to stand together and united as a Nation, as families and as members of AR15.com. The situation now present will not go away ever. The purpose of the original post was to create awareness of an issue to which we can have an effect on and not create controversy or personal attacks from one member to the other. Lighten up a little bit, don't take things personal, let's keep this in mind and above all with all the things that are going on let's not forget we will only survive as one group, united. God Bless America.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:31:30 AM EDT
cf345, If you don't think your response was rude and insulting, then you need some instruction on polite communications. When I intentionally insult someone, I don't pussyfoot around. When I choose to make sarcastic remarks, I try to make it obvious. When I make a mistake, I apologize for it. I don't deny it and wrap myself in an American flag and a copy of the Constitution and sing "God Bless America" at the top of my lungs. If you are experiencing some emotional trauma over the recent events in DC, New York City and Pennsylvania, (Don't forget those soles on the bird that crashed in Pennsylvania), take it out on those responsible, not someone who's on the same side.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:34:25 AM EDT
Dave_G. I can see you missed the entire point on the whole thing. So here it comes, straight and direct. GROW UP.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:43:20 AM EDT
Look coltfan I don't know if your having a bad day or what but back off. You are not the center of the universe. Just because you sent an e-mail doesn't mean everyone has to snap to and send you a response. The Presidnet has better things to do on a slow day in a slow year than get all e-maily with you. And for what it's worth no response is probably a good thing on this matter. If he wanted it to be renewed he would probably say so, and that would be bad. If he wants it to sunset with a passion, others would have time to plan and make sure it didn't, that is also bad. Deliberate indifference may be exactly what we want.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:52:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2001 9:52:57 AM EDT by Dave_G]
ColtFan345, I give up. You are not worth expending further effort on. (Edited to ensure that ColtFan345 knows that this post is intended for his attention)
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:53:55 AM EDT
This is really getting out of control. I totally agree with you OLY-M4gery. It is definetly not the time to deal with this with everything that's going on and maybe silence sometimes is better. I am not looking for any kind of response at all. Like I said before the purpose of the post was for information only.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:01:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2001 10:01:53 AM EDT by OLY-M4gery]
Then let's try and ratchet down the talk. I think that President Bush is well a politician. He seems to be more of a strategist than people first thought. He hasn't made any sweeping comments after any crimes that guns were used in like the other guy he replaced. That may be an important sign. President Bush may be trying to keep the US from focusing on guns. They seem to want to focus on crimes and criminals. I'm not sure my analysis, FWIW, is correct or in the ball park on this. I think Republicans may find other reasons to oppose it, the role of the Federal Government (over-reaching), crime being a state problem, responsibility, criminal acts being the responsiblity of criminals not guns. I don't know but I am hopeful. I think most people would say the flash suppressor, bayonet, pistol grip, hi-cap mag ban has done nothing except upset many law abiding citizens.
Top Top