Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 11:33:44 AM EDT
I cannot think of any specific law stating that you are legally obligated to inform the police.  Is there a way to have the serial # checked for stolen, or whether used in a crime?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I cannot think of any specific law stating that you are legally obligated to inform the police.  Is there a way to have the serial # checked for stolen, or whether used in a crime?

There is no law but it's probably prudent to do so if you get caught with it by the police and it's stolen or a murder weapon you'll be up shit creek.  Call anonymously to police, run serial number, if stolen then return it or turn it in at one of those gun buy back programs and get a free pair of sneakers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
We don't run anonymous serial numbers.  Why let the guy who stole it know if the owner had the serial number recorded anywhere?

Report it, if only because it's the moral thing to do.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no law but it's probably prudent to do so if you get caught with it by the police and it's stolen or a murder weapon you'll be up shit creek.  Call anonymously to police, run serial number, if stolen then return it or turn it in at one of those gun buy back programs and get a free pair of sneakers.

That's lame.  Did you find one, or is this a hypothetical thing?

I'd call it in, ask them to run the serial number, just to be honest... but I'm lame like that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#4]
What happens if it is not reported stolen? Do you get to keep it?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What happens if it is not reported stolen? Do you get to keep it?

Finders keepers
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#6]
some locations have laws that require found property with a value in excess of a specified amount to be turned into the police.   the finder can claim it after a specified amount of time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top