Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2001 8:30:26 PM EDT
this has nothing to do with firearms, it is a question regarding indian reservations and their status in the US.  ill give you my example: i was on the res and went to the police station to ask about obtaining a fishing permit. they told me i had to be an indian.  so i went home and spent a couple hours on findlaw.com to research indian law.  i found that they are not sovereing nations, they are rather communities that have been given the consideration to make their own local govt AS LONG as it does not contradict the fed or state consitution. so, they said i couldnt fish because i was not an indian, in other words, my race was the reason they would not sell me a fishing license---seemed discriminatory to me. (?) you tell me what you think, as i read the law, if they cannot contradict fed or state law, how can they do this?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#1]
It may be that they've also been granted exclusive fishing rights on their lands, or that reservation lands are considered private property (in which case they can do as they please).
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]
well even if it is private property, which it is not, discrimination is illegal.  it is a federal reservation, enforced by the fbi, baby sat by the bia.  it is very confusing to fully understand the status of reservations. anyone have a clue?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You silly fool you need to show them the green backs.

You have to pay to shoot prarie dawgs on thier lands also.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#4]
well i can see this is going no-where
thanks anyway
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Go back and tell them your an Indian too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top