Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 5:54:32 PM EDT
I'm looking for advice,

I'm a leo in NY state. NY state has the old Federal Assault Weapons ban and upon retiring, it looks like I will have to comply with the ban. My question is, would the new Law enforcement officers safty act HR 218 ( national concealed carry law ) allow a retired leo keep his post ban Assault weapons or hi cap magazines ? The law does clearly state that the term
"Firearm" does not mean a NFA weapon or a Machine Gun. The law is a little gray and I was hoping to get some opinions.

Any advice would be great,

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you read the act???

I don't recall any part that discusses the state's losing their rights to determine what firearms can be owned.

I only remember the concealed carry part.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I read HR 218 and it doen't state " pistol" it states "Firearm". A "Firearm" is defined in HR 218 not to be a "NFA weapon", "Machine gun", or a destructive device.  A "Firearm" in HR 218 isn't defined to be a pistol or a rifle. The law seems to be gray in this area ( maybe for a reason ), but I wouldn't want to be a test case. Other states like Calf. ( to my understanding ) let their retiring leo's register their Assault weapons if they retire in good standing.  

If anyone could post some info I would appreciate it!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
SInce it is a CCW law, are you trying to carry your AR15 concealed

I don't think that argument using HR218 would fly to well.........Are you sure about the Kalifornistan side?? I would really research that...as they have some serious anti-gunners that don't seem like they would let that fly.

How about retiring in a less Nazi state?? Then you could actually live somewhat free and away from Billary!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
AFAIK as a retired LEO you are subject to all the provisions of the NYS AWB. Out of state retired LEO's must also be in compliance with NYS magazine and other restrictions of the AWB when traveling in NY.  

You should also be aware that NJ places restrictions on magazine capacity and possession of hollow point ammunition.

www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_ret.html

"It should also be noted that, as civilians, retired officers cannot legally carry hollow-point ammunition or utilize high-capacity magazines restricted to law-enforcement use."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top