Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2001 6:22:21 PM EDT
I put a SP1 on layaway a few weeks ago, went in today with another payment and the dealer said I have to wait 3 days to pick up the gun once it's paid for. This is'nt a problem because I won't pay it off till next week. However I've never heard of this 3 day wait on a rifle, with the CCW permit I can walk out the door with a hand gun. Can sombody explain this? The other shops I walked out the door with hand gun the same day. I'm in Martin Co. Fl. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
What?? I think your dealer has spent to much time over by the solvents. Not sure on waiting periods, but it seems he is tacking it on after you finished paying for the rifle. I think he could legally start the clock the day that you entered into the agreement to purchase the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats what I would think, the backgroung check was done 3 weeks ago. He said to let him know 3 days before I want it so I can pick it up without waiting. Whats 3 days, Ive been waiting 3 weeks?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
While this certainly sounds fishy, there isn't, by chance, a local ordinance in effect?

As you say why another 3 days after 3 weeks. What would he have to gain? A local ordinance seems the most likely answer.

Congrats on your new purchase.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
3 days wait from the date its paid for?  Sounds to me like he's just trying to cover his ass and and give himself time to make sure the final payment clears the bank.  I know of no 3-day waiting period for rifles in FL, and I believe there is a state law (thanks to Jeb) that prohibits counties and municipalities from enacting their own gun legislation - so I don't think there could be a local ordinance in play here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
the backgroung check was done 3 weeks ago
View Quote

In Pennsylvania where I live the background check has to be done the day you pick up the rifle.
If you go into a store to buy a gun and they do the background check first then for some reason you cannot take the rifle that same day, when you come back on a different day they have to do another background check.

Unless they've been lying to me all this time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:42:09 AM EDT
[#6]
It might be a local ordinace, he has a piece of paper with the "laws" on it. It stated a 3 day wait on handguns and assault rifles. It caught me by surprize because I never heard of it. Oh well. Next Sat. it will be paid for, I'll humor him and call him on Wed. Maybe he's doing me a favor by marking it paid 3 days in advance and covering his ass.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:16:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Cletus,

Why didn't you ask the dealer why there was a 3-day wait?  If you ask politely there's no reason he wouldn't respond in kind.

My guess is that he's making sure your check clears.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Federally, from the day the background check is approved, you have 30 days to take possession of the firearm or firearms listed on that yellow sheet.  After that, the dealer must do another 4473 and background check.

State laws, as noted above, may be more restrictive than the federal requirements.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Source of Information. The information was provided by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. This agency is the CLEO.
Background Checks. Florida is an Instant Check State. The dealer requests a check using a 1-800 number or fax. If it is not rejected, the3-day waiting period is allowed to expire, and the person has the right to purchase the handgun. Long gun purchasers must also be checked, but do not have a 3-day waiting period.

That dealer is full of sheite Where is he anyway? I want to avoid him
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I asked him about the wait and he said a law was passed recently. This law maybe a county ordinance required a 3 day wait on assault rifles, not regular rifles and shotguns. He showed me the paper which states a wait on handguns and assault rifles if the CCW permit was issued after a certain date in 1998. I'll pay attention to what I'm reading next time I'm there. It's not about a check clearing as I'm using cash.
This is also a pawn shop, not a regular gun shop.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top