Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:58:48 AM EDT
Say you go to some department store or privately owned sporting goods shop. You buy a gun, but I'm guessing the guy behind the counter more than likely doesn't have an FFL or any kind of firearms dealing related license, correct?

How does this work?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I was always told that I could work under the shops FFL.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was always told that I could work under the shops FFL.

Is there a difference between a person having an FFL and a shop having an FFL?

Is this kind of like having a liquor license for a store?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#3]
The same way that a "plumber" can get permits under his bosses Master Plumber's license and business license.

He is acting as an agent of the shop owner/FFL Holder.

The responsibility of the sale goes on the actual shop owner/FFL holder.

Anything the clerk screws up is reflected on the FFL.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The same way that a "plumber" can get permits under his bosses Master Plumber's license and business license.

He is acting as an agent of the shop owner/FFL Holder.

The responsibility of the sale goes on the actual shop owner/FFL holder.

Anything the clerk screws up is reflected on the FFL.

Is that why gun shop owners that are the FFL holders are so funny about their employees doing private sales in the store?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is that why gun shop owners that are the FFL holders are so funny about their employees doing private sales in the store?

I believe that revolves around not wanting to appear to be doing firearms sales off-the-books.

Whether the private sale is 100% legit, or not, the PERCEPTION might be that there are some shady deals going down to skirt the law.

Sometimes perception becomes "reality".

I wouldn't jeopardize my FFL, if I had one, to allow private sales to go on in my shop.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wouldn't jeopardize my FFL, if I had one, to allow private sales to go on in my shop.

So basicially every sale that is done within the walls of the store is done "on the FFL". Makes sense enough.

So it would seem to me that a shop owner would want to be very particular about who they hire if they want to avoid losing their FFL or worse. I've seen some serious knuckleheads behind the counters at some places.

I want to say I've also seen at least one shop where the employee can handle everything up to the actual sale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top