Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2001 7:08:57 AM EDT
My cousin has a Street Sweeper.   He has had it for probably over 10 years.  I only see him maybe once a year and I talked to him today.  I asked him about the SS and he said it is in West Virginia.  It is registered in WV and at a friends house.  I asked why did he register it in WV, why not VA.   He said Street Sweepers are ILLEGAL in Virginia.

Is this true?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
§ 18.2-308.8. Importation, sale, possession or transfer of Striker 12's prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to import, sell, possess or transfer the following firearms: the Striker 12, commonly called a "streetsweeper," or any semi-automatic folding stock shotgun of like kind with a spring tension drum magazine capable of holding twelve shotgun shells. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony.

(1993, c. 888.)
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't you just love how if you fart wrong in this country its a felony of some sort.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, this obviously met a pressing need in Virignia for them to pass such legislation.  Why, the streets of Richmond must have been resounding with the thunder of all the Street Sweeper equipped gang bangers doing their drive-bys and turf wars.  Thank god the legislature made them illegal and put a stop to all that.

Now, if only they'd pass a law against murder or drugs, that'd cure those problems, too, right?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the quick response guys.

What crappy laws. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about farting but spitting is a no-no in Virginia:

§ 18.2-322. Expectorating in public places.

No person shall spit, expectorate, or deposit any sputum, saliva, mucus, or any form of saliva or sputum upon the floor, stairways, or upon any part of any public building or place where the public assemble, or upon the floor of any part of any public conveyance, or upon any sidewalk abutting on any public street, alley or lane of any town or city.

Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

(Code 1950, § 32-69; 1975, cc. 14, 15.)
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Never see that one prosecuted.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Well,Virginia spearheaded Project EXILE, which IMHO is one of the best attempts to actually enforce the existing gun laws on the books, instead passing more feel-good-do-nothing laws like other states.  All in all, VA is not that bad of a gun state.  I buy one handgun a month, 'cuz it's the law!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 All in all, VA is not that bad of a gun state.  I buy one handgun a month, 'cuz it's the law!!
View Quote

I thought CA was the only one to have a 1 handgun a month law.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Virginia got a bad rap for being a major gun supplier to the East Coast.  The problem was not the gun laws, but the driver's licensing laws.  Anyone used to be able to just drop by the DMV, apply for a license, and walk out with one in about 30 minutes.  Seems a lot of NYC crooks were sending their buddies down to do just that, so a lot of guns caught in NY and NJ were sold in VA.  They clamped down by requiring 2 id's, and the 1 gun-a-month thing.  I've got 3 guns already bought that I can't pick up until the requisite time has elapsed.  There is a form I can fill in and take it to the State Police to waive the wait, but I'd like to keep my name on as few lists as possible.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well,Virginia spearheaded Project EXILE, which IMHO is one of the best attempts to actually enforce the existing gun laws on the books, instead passing more feel-good-do-nothing laws like other states.  All in all, VA is not that bad of a gun state.  I buy one handgun a month, 'cuz it's the law!!
View Quote

I think the 1 per month in Va applies to handguns, not long guns?

Hell, if its the law you gotta buy 1 gun a month, then I guess I'm going to jail, I have been falling a bit short of my quota. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top