Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2001 10:00:21 AM EDT
does this sound right?  a dealer told me that if a person gets a 14.5" bbl then permanently adds some muzzle furniture so as to make it legal leanth, it still has to be done by a class II or its considered an NFA item, and so will the weapon its its used on.  i've never heard anything like this before, but seeing as how a dealer should know the laws as they pertain to the product he is selling, i didnt feel like arguing withh the dude.  can anyone confirm, clarify, or deny this?  i would call the ATF on this myself but i have gotten bad info from them before.  guess it depends on who you talk to.  thanks, justin
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, just because some guy has a commercial zoning and can shell out $200 for an FFL, dosen't mean he knows the laws.  I know a lot of people without licenses who know the law far better than some of the dipsh*ts with licenses.

The act of permanently attaching a muzzle device to bring the barrel up to 16" can be done by anyone.  However, it should be noted, that if the person doing the attachment has both the short (under 16") upper and a lower in their possession, BATF can find them in possession of an unregistered SBR.  Additionally if you have a lower and buy an unmodified 14.5" upper you intend to take to the smith to get modified, you are in possession.  So to answer your question, anybody can modify a short upper, but if you have a lower, its safest (legally) if someone else does it for you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#2]
like i said, it didnt sound right to me.  thats the first time i heard anything likt it.  probably just trying to drum up some buiseness for his class II buddys.  funny, after explaing in excruciating detail that i would be breaking the law, he still had no problem offering to sell me a bbl.  go figure.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Shaggy that would be Mr "Dipshit with a License" to you sir.

Proper information came from Shaggy once again. I never get first chance to tell people things since you been around.
[url]http://www.mindspring.com/~uziforme/index.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top