is it legal to sell a gun in
florida to someone who has a
D.U.I. conviction and why yes or no.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Is a DUI a felony offence in Fla?
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't think a first offense is a felony. But repeat offenses probably are. The simple answer is "HABITUAL DRUNKARD" If I remember correctly, I saw that question on the last form I filled out to buy a gun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Lets see if I can remember the questions

1) Are you a U.S. Citizen ?
2) Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor crime of domestic violence ?
3) Do you have any outstanding warrants ?
4) Have you ever been adjudicated mentally incompetent ?
5) Are you a habitual drunkard ?
6) Are you a habitual drug user ?
7) Are you over 18 for a long gun, 21 for a handgun ?

Not sure about the order of the questions, but the correct answers are Yes, No......, Yes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
The drunkard question must be a new one. I've never seen it on the form before.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I might be wrong about whther it is on the form or not, but it is listed in some states as a banned group of persons. E.G. A guy who has repeat D.U.I.s might be considered a habitual drunkard and therefore he shouldn't be sold a gun. I'm not sure which states have this rule, though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe the form that we must fill out is federal is it not?
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Florid Law Says:

It is unlawful for the following persons to own, possess or use any firearm: drug addicts, [b]alcoholics[/b], mental incompetents, "vagrants" and "undesirables" and "persons in or about a place of nuisance."
View Quote

As I said, I do not remember for sure whether it appeared on the form, but here is the actual law.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
The bigger question is how do they define someone as having a drug or alchohol problem or more specifically, what is their legal definition of a drug addict, alchololic etc...?

If someone has a solitary DUI that wasn't a felony, ie: property damage, injury or is'nt a multiple offender, there shouldn't be a problem.

A quick phone call or 2 should clear things up.

I would start by calling a licensed dealer or the state DOJ and ask them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top