Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2001 10:05:48 AM EDT
Sorry it doesn't have to do with an AR-15, but my question is, would a Ruger 10/22 basically follow the same guidelines as an AR-15 on Pre-ban stuff. If I bought a new 10/22 and convinced my dad (who really doesn't use or care about his gun) to swap me the piece off his 10/22 he bought in the eighties with the serial number and swap it so I had all the new parts I could have a folding stock, flash hider, pistol grip, etc. etc.? Not that a 10/22 is a real mean machine but it would be more fun than a regular one, and his 10/22 has been in the same config as the day he bought it from ruger the whole time. Thanks

Matt
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
his 10/22 has been in the same config as the day he bought it from ruger the whole time
View Quote

That's the problem. If it wasn't in assault weapon configuration before the ban then it cannot now be made into an assault weapon.

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, and I dont want to sound like a troll or a troublemaker, but my dad bought it before I can remember so I couldn't say for sure it never was, so who really can?  Do they have a list somewhere, or what.  If not, how can you buy one say at a gun show and know that it was in that configuration before the ban and not some old gun someone threw a folder on, etc.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Matthew S:  If it's been solely in his possession since before the ban, then only he can say it was or wasn't in an AW config in order to be a legal, grandfathered assault weapon.

However, if it wasn't in such a config before, it'd be illegal to build it into one now.

From a practical standpoint, no one can prove it WASN'T in an AW config, and it's up to your dad, then, to decide if he'll assert that it was built into an AW config before the ban.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
When in doubt, someone can contact the firearms manufactors to double check on the date of manufactured based on the serial #s.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, AR-18, the actual gun was manufactured in the late 70's, early 80's, so it definately could have been pre ban.  So when you buy one from someone in this circumstance (10/22, not AR-15) you are going solely on their word it was in AW config prior to the ban?  Can that backfire on you? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I did hear about an FFl in PRK who was busted for selling 10-22s with a folding stock, but again, that was an FFL. You will probably be ok.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
It's probably not a good idea talking about possibly committing a felony on a public discussion board.
Could you get away with it? Sure
Could you get caught and sent to jail, fined, and banned from ever owning any firearm? Sure
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I am not talking about possibly commiting a felony.  I was simply asking if what I wanted to do would be legal and how anyone would know the difference anyway.  Thanks for all of the input though.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#11]
to be a AW it just had to have been in a AW config some where in its lifetime since your dad owned it all these years maybe it did have a pistol grip and a flashhider/grenade launcher on it. you can build it if it was a AW sometime in its lifetime
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all of the input.  I'm sure not many here will disagree but it is all bullshit. What difference does it make? Their dumb rules make you WANT to break their stupid laws [pissed](***DISCLAIMER***This does NOT mean I plan on doing so).  Why can't we just have fun?  Again, thanks for the input, I now think I kind of, maybe, a little bit, fully understand the Pre-ban/Post-ban thing.

Matt
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Ummmm,
Why not trade him your brand new post ban 10/22 for his completly outfitted (flash hider, pistol grip, folder, bayonet, grenade launcher) preban 10/22.
Then you don't have to worry about swapping parts and asking questions like you just did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top