Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2001 8:10:09 AM EDT
I recently purchased a 10/22 and was wondering if it was covered by the "evil features" laws in California since it's a rimfire. Can I put on a thumbhole stock or stock with an attached pistol grip like the one in the Bushmaster catalog? What about a folding stock? I know this isn't AR related, but you guys are better with legal questions than most of the other boards I frequent.

thanks in advance
Terrell
aka silverstrand pat
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
No, the 10/22 is not covered by the SB23 "evil features" BS because it is rimfire-only.

However, it can still be a FEDERAL "Semiautomatic Asault Weapon" if you put two or more evil features on it:

...(b) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
   (1) A folding or telescoping stock,
   (2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,
   (3) A bayonet mount,
   (4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, and
   (5) A grenade launcher...

Be careful!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
i thought it was coverved by sb23 becouse only "Tube fed" 22's were exempt
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i thought it was coverved by sb23 becouse only "Tube fed" 22's were exempt
View Quote

CA's SB23 specifically exempted rimfire guns. Federal law does not. As Great Guns in Sacramento, CA sadly found out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome back Silverstrand Pat!![:)]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey silverstrand pat a.k.a. Terrell:

Are you in the San Diego area?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the quick replies.....so it's alright under California law, but not under Federal law? So no thumbhole stock for me huh?

Hey Treetop....how's Arizona? :)

and no, I'm not from San Diego, I live up in Ventura County at Silverstrand Beach.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#7]
You are fucked.
You "should" be able to put a thumbhole stock on a 10/22, but if that were the case then you should be allowed to place a 22 upper on an AR15 type lower and use it.
There should be no reason why A,B,C or O can't make an AR22. But you know that won't fly in Kalifornication.

Federal law states that you are able to atttach one item to a 10/22 and still be legal.

SO: If you lived anywhere else other then Kalifornication I would tell you that it would be legal to install that thumbhole stock on a post-ban 10/22.
On a pre-ban you could have a bayonet lug, flash hider, pistolgrip and a grenade launcher.

Federal law:
United States Code
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 44 - FIREARMS
SECTION 921

Assault Weapon:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher

Kalifornication law:
ROBERTI-ROOS ASSAULT WEAPONS CONTROL ACT OF 1989
12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Senate Bill 23 Assault Weapon Characteristics
(1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.
(2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

A large capacity magazine is defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to
accept more than ten rounds but shall not include any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, or a magazine that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By silverstrand pat:

Hey Treetop....how's Arizona? :)
View Quote

It's so nice to be in a free country again!
I love it here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top