Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Well DWS the Colt's LAW ENFORCEMENT CARBINE model #LE6920 is not marked AR-15.  AR-15 is a registered trade mark of Colt's Manufacturing Co. so you will find no other brand marked AR-15.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Ekie, The AR-15 stamped lower is an evil feature apparently. I'm suprised no one started flaming me over my reply. It's just a rare occasion to get an e-mail from an ATF S/A. At first glance I thought this was some nutbag or troll, Then I noticed the atf.treas. at the end of the e-mail address. Whoops! He was very polite, Very unusual from what I have found in the past. So I asked him to look into this for me and 2 days later I get a reply from ATF legal dept. Steve in VA should get the same reply soon. Thanks for the info. on the 6920 model.  Anybody else got any info on the other LEO model having AR-15 markings?  Sorry I don't know model #, I'm new to the post-ban Colts.  Thanks,  Dave
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes the marking AR-15 are an evil feature of an assault rifle as defined by section 921.  This is the first I have heard of the ATF having sited this though.  Very interesting.  There are only two rifles in production that are marked AR-15.   That would be the 6520 and the 6721 or Government Carbine and Tactical Carbine.  I would think you could look at these models on Colt's web site.  Not sure have not been there in awhile.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Just to be clear here, AR-15 marking are not an evil feature but actually make a rifle really evil and turn it into an assault rifle no matter the evil features such as bayonet mounts, flash hiders etc.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Evil features, I've heard this crap for 8 years now. What a bunch of sh*t! I hope all of the Clinton era laws sunset in '04. My guns don't tell me to kill people. Lack of attention and more stupid laws is what really does the killing. I wish those g*ddamned anti-gun politicians would look in a mirror,  Then they would know what evil features really are!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 1:56:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry I am getting in this thread so late... but isn't this much like NFA registered M-16s that are stamped "Property of the US Government" or something similar?  Even though they are stamped like this, those of us in NFA friendly states, can own these.

I have also seen LEO Shotguns, Rifles, and Pistols that have these markings and they are sold to the public so why would an AR-15... I mean anything but an [i][b]"AR-15" stamped[/b][/i] AR-15 be different?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Just food for thought- Quite a few smaller PD's (less than 50 officer's)don't have the money for a lot of the equipment that they would like to have so.........An officer may buy an LEO only, gift it to his PD, with the expectation of it being gifted to him upon his retirement (along with an appropriate quanity of magazines). He would also need a letter signed by his Chief/Sheriff transfering ownership to him/her.
Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Upon retirement, most departments give the officer some sort of commission (honorary, reserve, retired, etc.)  These commissions allow the guy to still be cobsidered a cop in some states and therefore still legally able to possess the gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry guys, but I've had no response yet to my letter.  I'll let you know ASA it happens.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top