View Quote
Waiting for them to contact me and coordinate pickup
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

its not 2008
View Quote
No shit, its not over a year ago like when OP purchased the firearm either.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
As many have stated before, take the money. Be glad they are willing to pay you at all.
ATF has F**ked before and they will try to cover their ass.
Back in late 1977 RPB brought out the semi auto MAC-10 they were available to purchase as a pistol.
Living in NJ at the time a pistol permit was required to purchase one.
My friend at the time a LEO was also a FFL dealer. I think we bought about 12 of them.
I had just started as a LEO and was on probation.
After we received the pistols I saw an ad in Shot Gun News for a Mac-10 parts kit.
It included all of the parts and a demilled lower receiver that was de milled per ATF guidlines.
Not that I would have tried to make a full auto
Apparently the ATF F**cked up in the de mill process and now wanted all of the de milled Mac-10's back.
They subpoenaed shipping records of the company that sold sold them, then went to the buyers and told us that we had to surrender them with no compensation.
The agent that came to my house had no idea that there was a semi auto Mac-10 on the market.
I could have told them to pound sand, but I was on probation at the time and did not need any problems!
Take the money and next time remember "I sold it"
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Something I just thought of... perhaps the PD discovered that the firearm is a key piece of evidence in a case unrelated to the tax case.  They know that they legally sold the gun, but now realize that they sold the primary piece of evidence to another case, so they want it back, because without it, they don't have the key evidence in another case...  Or they want to use the gun as evidence to leverage someone else into cooperation on a different case.
View Quote
If that is the case then the chain of evidence is FUBAR'ed on the gun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've talked to an attorney, just don't care enough about it to put up a fight over it.  I do want a fair settlement though that's achievable.
View Quote
What did the attorney say?

ETA: never mind.  didn't realize it was up to 4 pages already. sorry.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Couldn't you just "sell" them the serialized part, and keep the rest?
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Couldn't you just "sell" them the serialized part, and keep the rest?
View Quote
It depends on the circumstances but most likely not. Like I said earlier we don't know the circumstances to them getting this rifle back. Most likely someone else owns it. The whole thing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Take their offer or pepper your anus

They are being nice and could make it miserable for you
View Quote
Screw around with the man and BOHICA.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Net present value.

Learn it.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
They emailed me the agreement to hold harmless, I asked for the letter stating that I have done nothing wrong or illegal and they are consulting with the US Attorney's Office on getting that drafted.  There is no option to buy back after the case is resolved.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Not for nothing....but looking at pie in the sky... Completely possible that the tax case is going to be settled and the owner is going to get all his stuff back. Which would be a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not for nothing....but looking at pie in the sky... Completely possible that the tax case is going to be settled and the owner is going to get all his stuff back. Which would be a good thing.
View Quote
Not according to many here who would have him returned a hunk of chopped on metal
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If that is the case then the chain of evidence is FUBAR'ed on the gun.
View Quote
That is true...what the government tries to do fails to surprise me.  I wonder what the real truth is behind this case..we will probably never know, but I seriously doubt OP is being told the full truth.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Got the letter back.  Part is red was added at my request.  Any lawyers want to chime in?

ACCEPTANCE BY CLAIMANT/WAIVER OF CLAIMS/
AGREEMENT TO HOLD U.S. GOVERNMENT HARMLESS

I, _____________________________, the claimant and beneficiary, do hereby accept the
within-stated award, compromise, or settlement as final and conclusive on me, on my heirs,
executors, administrators or assigns, and agree that said acceptance constitutes a complete
release by me, my heirs, executors, administrators or assigns of any and all claims, demands,
rights, and causes of action of whatsoever kind and nature, arising now or in the future from, and
by reason of any and all known and unknown, foreseen and unforeseen, bodily and personal
injuries (including wrongful death), damages to property, breaches of contract or law, and any
other acts or omissions, and the consequences thereof, resulting, and to result, from the same
subject matter that gave rise to the claim for which I or my heirs, executors, administrators, or
assigns, and each of them, now have or may hereafter acquire against the Bureau of Alcohol,
Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the United States and against the employees(s) of
the Government whose acts or omissions gave rise to the claim by reason of the same subject
matter.

I further agree to indemnify and hold harmless ATF and the United States, its agents, servants
and employees from any and all claims or causes of action that arise or may arise from the acts
or omissions that gave rise to the claim by reason of the same subject matter.

I understand that I may consult with an attorney prior to signing this agreement, if I so chose.

In addition, your purchase of the firearm did not appear to be in violation of a provision of the
Gun Control Act.

Amount Paid for Satisfaction in Full: __________________.

______________________ ________________________
NAME (CLAIMANT): Date

Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Bobby Fuller Four - I Fought The Law(1966)
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
"did not appear to be in violation"
"ATF WITNESS"

Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Was that written in with crayon too?

WTF? This whole thing screams fishy to me. The letter is continually referring to you in the 1st-person but the part added in red refers to you in the 2nd-person. Which legally would not likely stand up. It's very obvious somebody that barely graduated high-school added that in and didn't even run it past legal. It would CYA about as good as a single sheet of TP would keep you dry in a downpour. IANAL

IMHO, I think there is more to this story and the handling of it is very amateurish. I know you want to stay away from a lawyer but it may be time to involve one just to make sure you're not falling into some sort of trap or messed up "crooked agent" type of deal.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:36:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
do you buy guns to lose money when someone makes a mistake and wants them back?  if they lose money, that's fine.  if they appreciate that's fine too.  they are tools and collectibles to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so you buy guns to make a profit?

do you buy guns to lose money when someone makes a mistake and wants them back?  if they lose money, that's fine.  if they appreciate that's fine too.  they are tools and collectibles to me.
Don't be a dick.

It was an honest mistake.

They are making you 100% whole.  You are asking them to give you a profit.  That's not the way to do this.

They have the legal right to seize it...but they are trying to handle it politely.

Be nice...if you want them to be nice.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
so if you bought 1oz of gold in 2008 for $850 and they want you to surrender it now for $850 when it's worth $1300, there's nothing you can do about it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your option is to be made whole again and that is what they are doing
so if you bought 1oz of gold in 2008 for $850 and they want you to surrender it now for $850 when it's worth $1300, there's nothing you can do about it?
Yes, because govt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 3:35:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not how this works...If I make a "mistake", and sell gold at a market low, I don't get to take it back at a market high at the original price. Not to mention the cost of OP's time and the opportunity cost of having his money tied up in the rifle. They fucked up, it's on them to make it right.

ETA: OP, what is the legal status of the rifle? Did they violate department policy in selling it to you? Why do they need it back so bad?
View Quote
My guess is that it was evidence that is still needed in court.  As the PD can't produce it, the Court will rape them, making the DA very unhappy.  Even if the OP does give it up, they now have a chain of custody problem that I don't know how they will get around.  Court will still rape them and the DA will still be very unhappy.

What I don't understand is why ATF is involved at all.  Is this an NFA weapon OP?
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Break even and get the man back out of your life?  Take the money and run.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I would rather have them seize it and lose money then sign that crappy paper they want you to sign.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My guess is that it was evidence that is still needed in court.  As the PD can't produce it, the Court will rape them, making the DA very unhappy.  Even if the OP does give it up, they now have a chain of custody problem that I don't know how they will get around.  Court will still rape them and the DA will still be very unhappy.

What I don't understand is why ATF is involved at all.  Is this an NFA weapon OP?
View Quote
Nope not NFA.  could be because it was sold out of state and they need help?
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#24]
A thought and a question for the Op.

Question: Unless it's already been mentioned, why is the specific gun in question a mystery. What the fuck is it? Brand, type? Why the needless cryptic discussion of this secret commemorative gun?

Thought: The idea that you're seeking to actually profit on this, given that a Federal agency, who is under no obligation to compensate you at all, is so mind bogglingly stupid it's difficult to effectively quantify in words alone. You are able to be made whole on the cost you invested. Now you feel the ATF should step up and say "Gee whiz, that sweet, mystery commemorative gun has modestly increased in value over the last 365 days. We should also give you the difference as well." Dude, here's a tip and a clue. Consider yourself lucky. There is a direct correlation between ones proximity to almost any Federal agency and ones happiness and liberty. Take your money, give them the fuckin gun and move on with your life.

I can't believe this requires some sort of group consensus.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Question: Unless it's already been mentioned, why is the specific gun in question a mystery. What the fuck is it? Brand, type? Why the needless cryptic discussion of this secret commemorative gun?

Thought: The idea that you're seeking to actually profit on this, given that a Federal agency, who is under no obligation to compensate you at all, is so mind bogglingly stupid it's difficult to effectively quantify in words alone. You are able to be made whole on the cost you invested. Now you feel the ATF should step up and say "Gee whiz, that sweet, mystery commemorative gun has modestly increased in value over the last 365 days. We should also give you the difference as well." Dude, here's a tip and a clue. Consider yourself lucky. There is a direct correlation between ones proximity to almost any Federal agency and ones happiness and liberty. Take your money, give them the fuckin gun and move on with your life.

View Quote
Because it's easily identifiable and I'm paranoid about which alphabet agencies read this.  Does it matter what kind of gun it is?  It's not NFA.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Because it's easily identifiable and I'm paranoid about which alphabet agencies read this.  Does it matter what kind of gun it is?  It's not NFA.
View Quote
Pssst....the only alphabet agency that matters here already knows about it and have specifically informed you of that. Cats out of the bag as far as the Feds are concerned. Stating what the gun actually is isn't going to gain the interest of the FDA, IRS or anyone else. Its the ATF's domain and again, they're well aware what it is already.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
oh that's a bingo
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I also don't understand the need to keep the type of gun secret... you bought it on Gunbroker, a website available to the public. What it is and who you bought it from is public knowledge.

And I agree with what others have already posted... take the money, return the gun, and be glad they don't just come and confiscate it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#29]
why all the curiosity about the gun?  it doesn't change the facts of the case.  just some people people don't like posting their serial numbers, this firearm may be easily recognizable.

we are working on arrangements for the transfer and reimbursement for said gun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I also don't understand the need to keep the type of gun secret... you bought it on Gunbroker, a website available to the public. What it is and who you bought it from is public knowledge.
View Quote
stuff drops off gunbroker pretty quick.  they don't keep records for very long online.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And I agree with what others have already posted... take the money, return the gun, and be glad they don't just come and confiscate it.
View Quote
Should he also sign that legal agreement that has no doubt been modified by an intern w/ no law experience?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
why all the curiosity about the gun?
View Quote
As I think I mentioned earlier it helps add context and details that in my opinion are necessary to form a worthwhile opinion.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#34]
The police department may not have had valid authority to sell the gun to anyone.

They likely did not 'OWN' it even though they had possession.

Someone at that department is going to be in a lot of trouble for making a mistake like that.

As in a career ending mistake.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#35]
firearm surrendered.  signed a release and surrender form.  got check.

asked about the story again.  seems it was held in evidence during the trial.  after the trial they were supposed to be destroyed.  PD sold them after the trial.  firearm is now on it's way to being destroyed.

i guess our tax dollars at work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you don't have a dog, then one will be assigned to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take their offer or pepper your anus

They are being nice and could make it miserable for you
I've been playing nice.  I want to know if I'm being screwed.  They have rules they have to play by as well.

I don't have any dogs so I'm good there.
If you don't have a dog, then one will be assigned to you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The police department may not have had valid authority to sell the gun to anyone.

They likely did not 'OWN' it even though they had possession.

Someone at that department is going to be in a lot of trouble for making a mistake like that.

As in a career ending mistake.
View Quote
I suspect not even a written note in anyone’s file.

They have the firearm back.
It will be destroyed.
“What mis-sold firearm?”

See how easy that was?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Mistakes happen and the ATF is being fair with you on this one by making you whole as if you never bought the firearm.  You can dig your heels in and fight over $500 of unrealized "profit" you believe you hold in the gun, but play stupid games, win stupid prizes and all that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Firearm, make, model....still a fuckin mystery.

Firearm known specifically by LE up to and including the ATF.

OP is contacted by and communicates back and forth with the ATF about this specific firearm.

OP surrenders firearm to ATF and receives compensation, thus dissolving his involvement and ownership of said firearm.....forever.

Firearm on its way to being destroyed, never to be owned, operated, seen or possessed by another human being ever again.

Firearm make and model: Still a closely held secret by the OP.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They are going to get their gun back.  Option A was to ask you nicely
View Quote
Whose gun?
Either I missed something or it's not obvious how the BATFE has any legitimate interest.

What I'm seeing:
Judge orders firearm seized from somebody who owes taxes?
Police Department seizes it, sells it to somebody, who lists it on the internet and sells it to OP. Proceeds of original sale went towards tax debt?
The PD was acting as agent for the tax collectors when they sold it? The PD was just supposed to hold it and not sell it, and the PD never actually owned it?
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The PD was just supposed to hold it and not sell it, and the PD never actually owned it?
View Quote
That would be my guess.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Cowabunga it is.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

OP is contacted by and communicates back and forth with the ATF about this specific firearm.

OP surrenders firearm to ATF and receives compensation, thus dissolving his involvement and ownership of said firearm.....forever.

Firearm on its way to being destroyed, never to be owned, operated, seen or possessed by another human being ever again.

View Quote
I smell something fishy here. I can think of no legitimate reason not to reveal the identity of this 'Top Secret' firearm at this point.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Anybody got the link to the lady driver that didn’t want to comply with signing a ticket and moving on?  May be relevant to OP....
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

asked about the story again.  seems it was held in evidence during the trial.  after the trial they were supposed to be destroyed.  PD sold them after the trial.  firearm is now on it's way to being destroyed.

View Quote
They seized it in partial payment of a tax debt so that they could pay to have it destroyed?
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Too late to tell them you already resold it ?
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I smell something fishy here. I can think of no legitimate reason not to reveal the identity of this 'Top Secret' firearm at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let it go man.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They seized it in partial payment of a tax debt so that they could pay to have it destroyed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally they are required to offer it for sale after a Court orders it sold.
It sounds like they jumped the gun and sold it without proper authorization (in this case a court order to sell).

The Court that orders the seizure is often NOT the same Court that orders the sale.

Seizure is one pleading.
Sale is another.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Too late to tell them you already resold it ?
View Quote
It is now too late.   And theoretically he could have told them he sold it at a gun show.   How would they know differently unless they searched his house.

And he could have kept it at another location other than his house.   I am doubtfully they would spend a lot of time and effort to try and find it over this matter.

Not advocating this course of action just relaying how one could in theory avoid turning over the weapon
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Help me make sure I understand: You bought a rifle off of GunBroker from a Police Department that now tells you they made a mistake and would appreciate your help in making it right, and you want to make sure you profit as much as possible off the mistake. Is that correct?
View Quote
Strong first post Mr ATF man.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top