Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2001 2:43:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't matter what its called, if it reduces muzzle flash then BATF will call it a flash suppressor. I believe that's what DSA is going through right now.

Also, the Post Ban barrel cannot have standard threads on it unless they are covered permanently by either an approved muzzle brake of some sort of thread protector/sleeve.
Then if the A2 style compensator happens to allow the attachment of a grenade launcher, that also is illegal.
The only way you're going to get anything from BATF is to write them a letter explaining you're point and they will either agree or disagree. Calling them on the phone doesn't work because it seems the people that answer the phone hardly know what they are talking about. I had a question about muzzle brakes and when I called I had someone answer the phone and argue with me, telling me I was wrong without hearing the whole story. He just kept quoting me the section about  flash suppressors in the AW Ban. I decided to write a letter and although it took many months I was in fact rewarded with a letter of agreement.
About getting unwanted attention, I wouldn't worry about it unless your question went something like "I've been making Full Auto Weapons and selling them to school children for over a year now and suddenly I hear this might be illegal, is this true?"

Good Luck

I just wanted to add, if you decide to write then here's the address:

[b]ATF Firearms Technology Branch
650 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W., Room 6450
Washington, DC  20226[/b]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#2]
A2 flash suppressor, compensator, or whatever you want to call it, is illegal on postbans at least for now. As Princeton said, you still could not have the threaded muzzle, as that is considered a feature in and of itself. Not to say an A2 couldn't be drilled out and tapped for set screws to slide over the end of the muzzle, but then you still have a flash suppressor on the end of a postban rifle. For now you are stuck with a plain barrel or a politically correct muzzle brake on a postban rifle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Do it like they are on the group buy guns. They milled it out and slid the whhole thing onto the end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
If you read the language of the 94 crime bill, you will find that it doesn't ban threaded barrels but only thread barrels capable of accepting flash hiders. There are two barrel mfgrs that have odd thread barrels and a bayonet-style and have BATF approval. They are producing space gun barrels.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Doesn't the crime bill state that one of the "evil" features you can't have on a post-ban rifle is a threaded barrel?  That would kill the idea of the compensator being removeable, right?
View Quote

Not if it's not a standard flash suppressor thread.  For an AR, that's 1/2-28tpi.  If you were to thread your muzzle 1/2-30tpi, there's no standard flash suppressor to fit that thread, and as long as there isn't a suppressor, it's legal on a post-ban AR barrel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not put a CAV COMP on it.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/014/UU/jD/lm/Ts50886.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top