User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll say she is a cunt out of general principle.
View Quote

I'm disappointed you're not coming to FO2.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
thats why I was confused.  I read cert, and then next thing I know Thomas is tearing the ghost of margaret sanger a new asshole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're referring to the Box decision, no. This isn't typical. They granted cert. and decided the question without hearing oral arguments. It's a grant of cert. and an opinion.
Most cases are just a "cert. is granted." See the HERNANDEZ, JESUS C., ET AL. V. MESA, JESUS case on the bottom of page 1 of the link.
thats why I was confused.  I read cert, and then next thing I know Thomas is tearing the ghost of margaret sanger a new asshole.
Yep. That was a fun dissent. He even took a jab at Ginsberg.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm disappointed you're not coming to FO2.
View Quote
Me too.  With Stoner out, I may have stood a chance.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll probably want to take a look at the Hernandez v. Mesa case that was granted today, if you haven't already.

The 5th Cir. opinion that is being appealed:
https://casetext.com/case/hernandez-v-mesa-6
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a 5-4 decision today. I haven't had time to read it. Roberts was in the majority.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/18pdf/17-8995_kimp.pdf
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There was a 5-4 decision today. I haven't had time to read it. Roberts was in the majority.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/18pdf/17-8995_kimp.pdf
View Quote
so when do I start freaking out about Gorsuch?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You shouldn't, any more than the liberals should freak out about Ginsburg, who voted with the conservatives for the 5-4 majority.

It's not realistic to expect that every conservative will vote with the other conservatives every single case.  It's never happened and never will.  There are issues on which reasonable people can disagree.
View Quote
I assume there are no reasonable liberals on the court.  I didn't even read the decision so I don't know what happened.

These pedantic decisions when there are real issues out there (like Hawaiian judges running foreign policy) being ignored is infuriating.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They hear the cases that are brought before them.
View Quote
Bush v Gore proves they can hurry when they feel like it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They hear the cases that are brought before them.
Half the country thought that decision was a sham. SCOTUS doesn't like it when that happens.
This article might make you feel better Sylvan.

Another problem is the fact that Congress writes crappy statues that don't foresee every possible scenario. SCOTUS gets to sort out the ambiguities. Reasonable people can disagree on what Congress intended to do and what the statues mean, even if the liberal Justices aren't included in the set of reasonable people.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Half the country thought that decision was a sham. SCOTUS doesn't like it when that happens.

Another problem is the fact that Congress writes crappy statues that don't foresee every possible scenario. SCOTUS gets to sort out the ambiguities. Reasonable people can disagree on what Congress intended to do and what the statues mean, even if the liberal Justices aren't included in the set of reasonable people.
View Quote
It does and doesn't.  I want Thomas replaced by a republican.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, we'll just have to get one elected next time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
France's judges apparently don't like what we're doing in this thread.
‘The identity data of magistrates and members of the judiciary cannot be reused with the purpose or effect of evaluating, analysing, comparing or predicting their actual or alleged professional practices.’
View Quote
https://www.artificiallawyer.com/2019/06/04/france-bans-judge-analytics-5-years-in-prison-for-rule-breakers/
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#16]
@Sylvan regularly complained about SCOTUS taking trivial and unimportant cases.
Are you aware that SCOTUS often asks for the solicitor general's advice on some cases, and usually takes that advice?
https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/06/solicitor-general-files-invitation-briefs-2/#more-286567

#FreeSylvan
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Opinions are coming.
Speaking before the annual conference of federal judges in New York, Ginsburg suggested that more than a quarter of the court’s remaining 27 rulings will be decided by a single vote. Of the 43 argued cases settled so far, 11 were by a vote of either 5-4 or 5-3, she said.
View Quote
https://news.yahoo.com/ginsburg-hints-sharp-divides-supreme-193824126.html
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
No 5-4 opinions today.

Quarles v. US (9-0)
Michigan’s third-degree home-invasion statute substantially corresponds to or is narrower than generic burglary for purposes of qualifying for enhanced sentencing under the Armed Career Criminal Act.
View Quote
Return Mail (6-3)
SOTOMAYOR, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS, C. J., and THOMAS, ALITO, GORSUCH,  and   KAVANAUGH, JJ., joined.
BREYER, J., filed  a  dissenting  opinion, in which GINSBURG and KAGAN, JJ., joined.

The federal government is not a “person” capable of petitioning the Patent Trial and Appeal Board to institute patent review proceedings under the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act.
View Quote
Parker Drilling (9-0)
Under the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, when federal law addresses the relevant issue, state law is not adopted as surrogate federal law on the Outer Continental Shelf.
View Quote
Order List
CERTIORARI DENIED

18-936  KETTLER, JEREMY V. UNITED STATES
18-7451   COX, SHANE V. UNITED STATES
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I will withdraw from the bet early and declare you the victor.  My ban from GD is permanent.  So I have no reason to remain on the board.  I am glad, albeit early, to have been proven wrong thus far.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I will withdraw from the bet early and declare you the victor.  My ban from GD is permanent.  So I have no reason to remain on the board.  I am glad, albeit early, to have been proven wrong thus far.
View Quote
I find that all to be completely unacceptable.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
federal judges don't write their opinions, either
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federal judges don't bill hours. They get the same salary if they write two or two-hundred page opinions.
Of course we'd probably all like it if SCOTUS took more cases and wrote fewer pages.

Other than the SCOTUS justices, with a few opinions that make the news and MIGHT be read by the public, I assume most judges write their opinions for other lawyers, specifically the judges that will read the decision when it gets appealed, or the SCOTUS clerks that are going to write a cert. brief for the justices, and perhaps for the parties. I doubt most care what the proles think.
federal judges don't write their opinions, either
Some of them can't breathe without mechanical assistance
Fare well Col.

edit for spelling attention to detail
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hate to see you go sir.

There's always Team. Sometimes there are less dickheads in there but if you choose to go, be well and give 'em Hell.    
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Today's order list. Opinions should be out in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Sylvan
I do not accept your withdrawal. You're not banned from legal, AFAIK. This week and the next are to my knowledge the last two of this term and there are about two-dozen opinions that will be released. Our "bet" will be concluded at that point. I hope you're honorable enough to come here and acknowledge it at that point.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Manhattan Community Access Corp. v. Halleck (5-4)
Roberts joins the conservatives here.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) "is not a state actor subject to the First Amendment"

ETA: I believe this opinion puts the score at 1-5.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Virginia Uranium v. Warren
This isn't a 5-4. Looks like an odd 3+3 - 3. Roberts dissents.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Gamble v. United States (7-2)
"Alito is joined by Roberts, Thomas, Breyer, Sotomayor, Kagan, and Kavanaugh. Thomas wrote a concurring opinion. Ginsburg and Gorsuch filed dissenting opinions."
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Virginia House of Delegates v. Bethune Hill
GINSBURG, J., delivered  the  opinion of  the  Court,  in  which THOMAS, SOTOMAYOR, KAGAN, and GORSUCH, JJ.,  joined. ALITO, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which ROBERTS, C. J.,and BREYER and KAVANAUGH, JJ., joined.
View Quote
Looks like a punt on a racial gerrymandering case, but I haven't read it all yet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#29]
More opinions to come on Thursday morning at 9 AM CT.
As a reminder from an earlier post for any lost soul who happens to wander in here, SCOTUSblog keeps a nice stats page for the whole term.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Four opinions today -- none specifically applicable to this thread.
GUNDY v. UNITED STATES
McDONOUGH v. SMITH
AMERICAN LEGION v. AMERICAN HUMANIST ASSN
PDR NETWORK, LLC v. CARLTON & HARRIS CHIROPRACTIC, INC.

Edit:
Upon further review, the PDR network decision is arguably a 5-4 with Roberts joining the liberals.
BREYER,  J.,  delivered  the  opinion  of  the  Court,  in  which  ROBERTS, C.  J.,  and  GINSBURG, SOTOMAYOR, and  KAGAN,  JJ.,  joined.   THOMAS, J., filed  an  opinion  concurring  in  the  judgment,  in  which  GORSUCH,  J., joined.  KAVANAUGH, J., filed an opinion concurring in the judgment, in which THOMAS, ALITO, and GORSUCH, JJ., joined.
View Quote
All of the justices agreed to reverse and send it back down to the lower courts.
"The  judgment  of  the  Court of Appeals is vacated, and the case is remanded for that court to consider  these  preliminary  issues,  as  well  as  any  other  related  issues that may arise in the course of resolving this case."
Had Roberts not joined the liberals we may have had a different outcome. I haven't read every word in this or the underlying decisions, so I'm not sure what to think of this one.
However, under the strict standard of only counting the votes and not reading the opinions as set out in the OP this case is Sylvan's if he wants to claim it.
@Sylvan
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Sure is great that every “swing” voting justice is appointed by a republic.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sure is great that every “swing” voting justice is appointed by a republic.
View Quote
Would you rather there be 5 or 6 Dem. appointed justices where one or two occasionally swing conservative?
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#33]
The Court caught me off guard and issued opinions this morning.
Flowers v. Mississippi (7-2)
NORTH CAROLINA DEPT. OF REVENUE v. KIMBERLEY RICE KAESTNER 1992 FAMILY TRUST (9-0) A nice slap down of NC trying to grab out of state $.
Rehaif v. United States (7-2) A case with illegal aliens and firearms. What will GD do?

Knick v. Township of Scott (5-4) 5th Amdt. takings case where Roberts' opinion is joined by the other 4 conservatives! Looks like a nice win for land owners.

ETA: I believe that Knick puts the score at 2-6 if I give Sylvan the PDR case from yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Opinion day!
US v. HAYMOD (4+1 - 4) < GORSUCH + the liberals in a kiddy pron case >
KISOR v. WILKIE I'm going to have to read this one to score it. It MIGHT be another 5-4 for Sylvan, but they all agree in the judgement, so maybe not.
KAGAN,  J., announced  the  judgment  of  the  Court  and  delivered  the  opinion  of  the  Court  with  respect  to  Parts  I,  II–B,  III–B,  and  IV,  in  which  ROBERTS,  C. J., and  GINSBURG,  BREYER,  and  SOTOMAYOR,  JJ., joined,  and  an  opinion  with  respect  to  Parts  II–A  and  III–A,  in  which  GINSBURG, BREYER, and SOTOMAYOR, JJ., joined.  ROBERTS, C. J., filed an opinion concurring in part.  GORSUCH, J., filed an opinion concurring in the  judgment,  in  which  THOMAS,  J., joined,  in  which  KAVANAUGH,  J., joined as to Parts I, II, III, IV, and V, and in which ALITO, J., joined as to Parts I, II, and III.  KAVANAUGH, J., filed an opinion concurring in the judgment, in which ALITO, J., joined.
View Quote
TENNESSEE WINE AND SPIRITS v. THOMAS (7-2)
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#36]
After looking at Gorsuch's concurrence in Kisor I think I have to score it for Sylvan.
I believe we're at 3-6.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Will Roberts screw is on the census question?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm not sure.
There's a lot going on in that case other than just a simple "Can the census ask if you're a citizen?" on the form.
Issues: (1) Whether the district court erred in enjoining the secretary of the Department of Commerce from reinstating a question about citizenship to the 2020 decennial census on the ground that the secretary’s decision violated the Administrative Procedure Act, 5 U.S.C. 701 et seq; (2) whether, in an action seeking to set aside agency action under the APA, a district court may order discovery outside the administrative record to probe the mental processes of the agency decisionmaker -- including by compelling the testimony of high-ranking executive branch officials -- without a strong showing that the decisionmaker disbelieved the objective reasons in the administrative record, irreversibly prejudged the issue, or acted on a legally forbidden basis; and (3) whether the secretary’s decision to add a citizenship question to the decennial census violated the enumeration clause of the U.S. Constitution.
Tune back in tomorrow at 10 AM ET for the answers.

ETA: SCOTUS blog post discussing the mess that is the census case.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Today is the last opinion day for the term.

Mitchell v. Wisconsin
ALITO,  J.,  announced  the  judgment  of  the  Court  and  delivered  an  opinion,  in  which  ROBERTS,  C.  J.,  and  BREYER  and  KAVANAUGH,  JJ.,  joined.   THOMAS,  J.,  filed  an  opinion  concurring  in  the  judgment.    SO-TOMAYOR, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which GINSBURG and KAGAN, JJ., joined.  GORSUCH, J., filed a dissenting opinion.
View Quote
JUSTICE ALITO, joined by THE CHIEF JUSTICE, JUSTICE BREYER, and JUSTICE KAVANAUGH,  concluded  that  when  a  driver  is  unconscious  and cannot be given a breath test, the exigent-circumstances doctrine generally permits a blood test without a warrant.
View Quote
Rucho v. Common Cause
ROBERTS, C. J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which THOMAS, ALITO,  GORSUCH,  and  KAVANAUGH,  JJ.,  joined.    KAGAN,  J., filed  a  dis-senting  opinion,  in  which  GINSBURG,  BREYER,  and  SOTOMAYOR,  JJ.,  joined.
View Quote
The court holds that partisan gerrymandering claims present political questions beyond the reach of the federal courts.
View Quote
Rucho puts the score at 3-7.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#40]
The census case.
Department of Commerce v. New York
ROBERTS,C. J.,  delivered  the  opinion  for  a  unanimous  Court  with  respect  to  Parts  I  and  II,  and  the  opinion  of  the  Court  with  respect  to  Parts III, IV–B, and IV–C, in which THOMAS, ALITO, GORSUCH, and KAVANAUGH,  JJ.,  joined;  with  respect  to  Part  IV–A,  in  which  THOMAS, GINSBURG, BREYER, SOTOMAYOR, KAGAN,  and  KAVANAUGH,  JJ.,  joined;  and  with  respect  to  Part  V,  in  which  GINSBURG, BREYER, SOTOMAYOR, and KAGAN, JJ., joined.  THOMAS, J., filed an opinion concurring in part and dissenting in part, in which GORSUCH and KAVANAUGH, JJ., joined.  BREYER,  J.,  filed  an  opinion  concurring  in  part  and  dissenting  in  part,  in which GINSBURG, SOTOMAYOR, and KAGAN, JJ., joined.  ALITO, J., filed an opinion concurring in part and dissenting in part.
View Quote
At first glance I'm not sure how to score this one either. Going to have to read it. As I said yesterday, it isn't simple.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm going to claim the census case for my side of this. The four conservatives supported most of Roberts' opinion and the four liberals all joined in Breyer's concurrence/dissent. Even if we toss this out it isn't going to impact the outcome under the rules in the OP.

Final tally 3-8. Roberts is only 27% liberal. I'm open to anyone checking my math or (scant) legal analysis.

SCOTUS will be issuing orders tomorrow if anyone cares, but we're done with opinions for the Summer. SCOTUSblog will have coverage.

Edit: After further review, there's to much going on in the census case to call it a 5-4 either way. I'm tossing it out.
Final tally 3-7. Roberts is only 30% liberal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Game Over.
There's enough Roberts bashing going on in GD that my futile attempt to provide some insight on how SCOTUS works is pointless.
Mods please lock this thread.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#43]
@Sylvan
I hope you've enjoyed this if you are still browsing ARF, but I assume you aren't and have moved on to better things.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#44]
By OP request
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top