Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2003 7:42:35 AM EDT
Another LEO - based exemption question.

I am a highpower service rifle competitor.  I am a LEO.  I have bought some AR LEO 20rd mags from my police distributor for prone shooting.  20rd mags are the preferred mags for highpower shooters.  My department knows I shoot competition and promotes it.  The question:  If i am at Camp Perry(or any other match) using the 20rd LEO mags, am I breaking the law?  Will anyone check them? This is technically not 'duty use' but they are used for duty use. Also, what if the rifle is an LEO receiver rifle and I use it in competition? Thoughts, opinions, and expecially facts appreciated.  Al
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#3]
who the hell is gonna check?
even if someone did, who the hell is gonna care?
and if they did, would they even bother after you flash your badge ?

theres a lot of guys with LEO mags, ever heard of anyone getting busted? ever hear of mag checks ?
i say, dont sweat it, its only illegal if you get caught, and its prolly not anything that anyone would even bother with or even know how to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Garand1911
 11/11/2003 4:44:26 AM

theres a lot of guys with LEO mags, ever heard of anyone getting busted? ever hear of mag checks ?
i say, dont sweat it, its only illegal if you get caught, and its prolly not anything that anyone would even bother with or even know how to deal with.  

While ill say it probably wouldnt be a problem i will STRONGLY disagree with garand, something that is illegal is illegal PERIOD.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well the usual way you get busted is when a neighbor, co-worker, ex-GF, ex-wife etc. turns you in.  Or maybe the Chief or another officer has a hard-on for you.  

Although the risk is small is it really worth it when you can buy all the legal mags you want for a few bucks more?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]
cool thanks man you rock
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm gonna go with the "don't worry about it" people. It's possible someone may think it's illegal, it's possible they may turn you in, and it's possible you may get in trouble. I really think the probability is extremely small.

Any practice could help you in your job and I think since the department encourages you to compete you'd have a leg to stand on.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
My state AG has issued an opinion in the 1960's that all LEOs are to be considered "on-duty" 24/7 for purposes of enforcing the law.  Ergo, I qualify with all of my handguns on our department off-duty/plainclothes course.  I use my rifles to practice marksmanship that directly relates to my duty AR15.  I have my captain write letters for standard capacity mags and inform him that competition increases my skill level with my issued firearms.

It's all in how you paint the picture, dude.

As far as no one ever checks mags, there WAS one CA DOJ prick who would go check people's serial numbers/mags at ranges/comps.  He's a dirty bastage and I hope he catches a round through the eyeball someday.  He jacks up the local gun stores and gun owners and doesn't much mess with real criminals.  I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on him if he was on fire.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#10]
My .02 is I would think that it would be "reasonable" to assume that if you are authorized to possess the rifle/mags for duty, you would be authorized to have possession whenever, wherever.  But then again, what is "resonable" about this law?

By vojta: . I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on him if he was on fire.
View Quote

What if you had a belly full of diesel fuel?[flame]

Sly

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Do the LEO mags give you any competitive advantage?  If so, then why would you want TO CHEAT?  If not, why use them at all?

It is bad enough that LEO/Military get things that are unconstitutionally restricted to us mere citizens.  But when you use them in competitive shooting events where other mere citizens are competing as well you are just showing your contempt for us.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Pazzo,

What kind of drugs are you taking?  What advantage do you think they might provide?  Do you think that litlle bit of engraving helps me shoot better?  I don't appreciate the "cheating" insinuation.  The LEO mags are cheaper and supplied; I would not be wearing my prebans out that can't be replaced.  Plus I can buy new LEO 20s cheaper than prebans.

What a damn whiner!  I think everyone should be able to get regular capacity mags, but that's not my call.  18 year olds should be able to buy beer; just cause they can't doesn't mean I won't.  A civilian can't possess and buy the defibrillator and IV catheters and meds I use to save lives; should that mean that no one should be able to use them, especially with training.  Beside, walk a day or two in my boots or any LEO/ESO and tell me we shouldn't have a little bit of an advantage.  YOu sleep in bed comfortably at night while we trod through the puke, and shit, and blodd and deal with the things that violate your sensibilities and makes for vile dinner conversation.  Quit stirring shit if you don't know what you're talking about.  We do the job without expecting much, not even thanks; but I would expect a little bit better treatment from one who aligns himself with us in 2d Amendment issues.  Gungrabbers like people like you that stir the winds of discontent within the ranks.  Hey, I hope the bans sunsets without replacement and you can buy all the toys you want; but don't crap on me because I can use a benefit EARNED by my status as an LEO and PUBLIC SERVANT!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#13]
It is clear from your post that you feel your "status as an LEO and Public Servant has earned" you the right to benefits and advantages over your fellow competitors.  Good luck in your competitions.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Again, what advantage do I gain with the inscribed words on the side of the mag?  YEah, I earned an advantage to be able to still purchase capacity mags - that is a benefit in the real world, not competitions.  You must not compete (you would know there is no comp advantage to it)and just want to stir the poop>  Your attitude (that LEOs can buy 20/30 rounders and you can't isn't fair) is pretty petty and silly. The rifle I shoot can have a bayonet lug, too; a postban can't.  Does that piss you off too?  I've said several times that everyone should be able to have those advantages, but until it changes; cops DO earn the right to have capacity mags.  What possible argument could you make against that?  UNBELIEVABLE!!  I'm not gonna address this silly stuff with you anymore. Any rational person can see your petty whine is unfounded.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Pazzo, you ignorant slut.

Re-read his post. 20 rounders can be used by anybody. He is asking if he can use LEO mags, he gets them cheaper, it's not a competitive advantage, but a financial advantage for him.

Now pull your foot out of your mouth.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, you are a LEO, you shoot in competition with LEO stamped Mags.

You have no problem, you are increasing your Proficiency that some day may have to be used in the line of duty.

Are you aware that there is a block on the Camp Perry entey form to be checked off by LEO's so they can shoot for High Honors? It's the same for Military competitors also.

By checking the block you will be placed in two classes, NRA classification and LEO (open only to LEO's)

Check the NRA site under Competition, and CMP site.

Have fun and good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top