Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2017 8:36:56 PM EDT
I have recently been offered a couple different positions in Europe in Greece and Italy. Can I ship my guns with my household items or is there to much red tape involved. I’ll just store them with Family if need be.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]

But seriously, there is going to be a tremendous amount of red tape involved, IF they will even allow a foreigner to bring guns into the country.

Your first step should be to check with the Italian and Greek consulates. 

I don't know about Greece's gun laws at all, but I do know that anything in a "military caliber" is banned from civilian possession in Italy. So, 5.56, 9mm Luger, .45 ACP, 7.62 are all out of the question.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I do not believe you’ll be able to bring your guns.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Well that answered that pretty quickly! Damn!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
No, it didn't answer your question at all, except to tell you that you need to check with people who know. Nobody here has claimed to know the answer. Check it out thoroughly and take what you can. Also, check on what ammo you can take and possess. Some European countries have limits on ammo, down to restrictions to buying only one box per month.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe the Czech Republic.

Elsewhere in Europe? I’m surprised you would ask. In some places not all street cops are armed. But terrorists have access to old commie weapons.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I ask because I have heard different theories or stories. The only place I have ever seen cops without guns is in the ????. So if military rounds or military type weapons are a no go, what about cowboy guns? I was put on hold the disconnected at the Greek,Italian and Spanish consulates. I did dare call back as I don’t need mr. ATF, DHS or some other agency calling me back! Lol
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]
tough gig.... Greece or Italy...  sign me up...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Even in EU countries where private ownership of guns is allowed, it is limited to citizens.  There was a time when, if you were traveling under a US Diplomatic passport, you might have been able to get away with it, but that time is long past.  While it is possible to import guns into some Eastern European countries for sporting and hunting purposes, I don't think you can do so if you will be staying there for an extended period of time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Greece if I remember limits people to owning shotguns.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The good news is that guns are highly restricted so no need to worry about armed criminals
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Depending on what they are you may also be prohibited from bringing them back into the US.  I would leave them with a family member here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I am "just" from Austria.
Trust me even the Knife Law here in Europe is restrictive!
Especial in Italy the Law is extreme restrictive.

So I cant believe that you can ship/ register your Guns here legally.

For example here in Austria just semi Automatic are permitted and some smal calibre.
To own a Gun you must have an legal reason for the could be anything but claim "self defence" isnt good better is for Sport Events.
Than you have to pass an Psycolocial Test psychological sure in German. In Italy / Greece in the local language.
And dont forgett about the fees...

I personally would not move to Italy at the moment. I dont want to be to political but the situation get worse every day.
And Greece it look like the County is a little bite more stable a short while ago.

I highly recommend to have a Plan B and save many €/ $ you can!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top