Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2017 1:02:27 PM EDT
So, here's the situation i'm dealing with.

My fiancé and her ex husband didn't file taxes for 2015. They were separated, and finalized the divorce in 2016. He couldn't hold a job longer than two weeks and had dozens of W-2's and when he couldn't obtain them all he decided to just not even file taxes. She didn't know she could file on her own and did what she was told to do, and I'm trying to help her fix all this. He took her social security number and financed stuff with it and never made payments, every car he's ever purchased has been repossessed, has paid $0 in child support... so I'm trying to deal with things with back taxes being first on the list.

My fiancé is a very sweet and trusting girl, just trusted the wrong people and they took advantage of her.

My fiancé has her same job she had back then, so one W-2 which we have and the health insurance verification tax document. She filed her 2016 taxes with an online tax prep like turbo tax or something and selected she did not file 2015 taxes. The IRS kept her return as her divorce was not finalized until 2016 and her ex has his wages garnished as well as his return.

She received a letter from the IRS showing she owes $0, but I find it a little too convenient her 2016 return cleared whatever balance she owed. I want to make sure she has no further tax obligations from this and can move forward. She works hourly and made about $25k in 2015, so most likely would have received a return.

So would it be OK to file 2015 taxes with an online tax prep service like turbo tax? Or should I pay more and use a tax attorney for peace of mind? My taxes have always been rather simple and I use a turbo tax account or H&R block.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would call the IRS and see what's actually going on.

It seems odd that they don't seem to care about the missing 2015 return, but they said she's even.  They may be treating her as a separate entity from her+husband.  IOW, MFJ return for 2015 and now she's filing on her own for 2016.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank You
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:He took her social security number and financed stuff with it and never made payments, every car he's ever purchased has been repossessed,
View Quote

I would deal with this first. It is ID theft, and all those repos on cars financed on her SSN will reflect on her credit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I would strongly suggest going to a GOOD tax pro for the 2015 fiasco and having him help her work things out.  Yes it will cost a bit but if it is done wrong any penalties and interest will be higher than his fee.

Have her adjust her withholding so she owes money, that way the IRS can't take her refund (and a tax refund is different from a tax return).

Her credit needs to be locked pronto.  Usually police reports need to be filed on the fraudulent accounts before the creditors will consider removing them.  Join CreditBoards.com - tons of good info there on the steps for dealing with fraud.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes we put a freeze on all her credit and I’m reviewing it. I worked credit fraud investigation for Target so I’ve got that covered, and her credit is improving slowly but surely.

Since I’ve never dealt with the IRS or back taxes I didn’t really know where to begin other that contacting an attorney.

I think I’ll find a tax attorney and have them handle it. I spoke with her this evening about it and she had contacted the IRS over the summer (something I told her to do) but they needed some kind of verification such as a vehicle loan account number and what she had didn’t suffice. So they didn’t speak with her about anything.

I am making progress, she was very embarrassed about everything when she first told me early in our relationship and couldn’t afford anything beyond the essentials. Basicslly she was a single mom of a toddler struggling just to put food on the table for her 3 year old. Zero child support, and in the divorce she ended up with her ex’s 2013 Dodge Journey (as he couldn’t afford the payments) with an 18% interest rate.

Since then we’ve gotten her into a used Hyundai Accent that gets twice the gas mileage and costs half to own. Hired a lawyer and are going after her ex for back and current child support, to which he decided just to sign away all parental rights.

It’s been a lot of effort but things are coming together and the future looks good. I’m just trying to wrap up the last of the loose ends.

Oh yeah, and I was juggling all this as I went through training for a new airline.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hired a lawyer and are going after her ex for back and current child support, to which he decided just to sign away all parental rights.
View Quote
I didn't think states did that without an adoption in the works because they don't want the obligation to support the child to be put on the taxpayers rather than the father.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]
That is correct
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I didn't think states did that without an adoption in the works because they don't want the obligation to support the child to be put on the taxpayers rather than the father.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hired a lawyer and are going after her ex for back and current child support, to which he decided just to sign away all parental rights.
Signing away does not relieve him of child support obligations  incurred previously.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top