Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2017 9:24:22 PM EDT
I'm hoping to get some clarification on texas state law. If someone is under 21 but over 18, can they own/buy a handgun in texas?

I has this kid tried to trade me a handgun for a rifle and I said no when I looked at his id. I found the federal clarification on the atf site which permits this type of transaction but couldn't find the texas law.

If someone could point me to the statute, I'd really appreciate it. I looked but can't find it.

Thanks

V
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Been a long time since I was under 21. Back then if under 21 you cannot buy handguns or handgun ammo. .22lr was included in that. I know now that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun yet not sure on the ammo anymore. And stripped lowers is a grey area since they are sold as other.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm hoping to get some clarification on texas state law. If someone is under 21 but over 18, can they own/buy a handgun in texas?

I has this kid tried to trade me a handgun for a rifle and I said no when I looked at his id. I found the federal clarification on the atf site which permits this type of transaction but couldn't find the texas law.

If someone could point me to the statute, I'd really appreciate it. I looked but can't find it.

Thanks

V
View Quote

18 & over is GTG.

Sec. 46.06.  UNLAWFUL TRANSFER OF CERTAIN WEAPONS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person:
(1)  sells, rents, leases, loans, or gives a handgun to any person knowing that the person to whom the handgun is to be delivered intends to use it unlawfully or in the commission of an unlawful act;
(2)  intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child younger than 18 years any firearm, club, or illegal knife;
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

18 & over is GTG.

Sec. 46.06.  UNLAWFUL TRANSFER OF CERTAIN WEAPONS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person:
(1)  sells, rents, leases, loans, or gives a handgun to any person knowing that the person to whom the handgun is to be delivered intends to use it unlawfully or in the commission of an unlawful act;
(2)  intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child younger than 18 years any firearm, club, or illegal knife;
View Quote
Well, I guess I'm the dumbass... still, it just didn't feel right. He back hisp his truck so I couldn't see his plates, had a bill of sale filled out but didn't have me sign it once I asked for his I'd. His only texas id was a security guard license. No DL. Just a lot of other alarm bells...

Thanks for digging that up!

V
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well, I guess I'm the dumbass... still, it just didn't feel right. He back hisp his truck so I couldn't see his plates, had a bill of sale filled out but didn't have me sign it once I asked for his I'd. His only texas id was a security guard license. No DL. Just a lot of other alarm bells...

V
View Quote
No DL and driving a vehicle is no go 4 me. I mean, he shows up to a gun sale while in violation of the law? Seriously?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No DL and driving a vehicle is no go 4 me. I mean, he shows up to a gun sale while in violation of the law? Seriously?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V
Yep. He said he "had the number memorized". He has a texas security license though. State issued id and all that.

V
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V
I'll second all this. Maybe the kid's just stupid, but it sounds sketchy regardless of age.

Done a fair bit of looking into it. As far as I could find, 18+ is perfectly good to own, but a licensed dealer can't transfer to <21.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top