Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2017 11:02:30 AM EDT
Since Trinity Ordnance started selling me NOS Sabre Defense (Cav Arms Mk2) lowers 3x for $100, I've been giving them away to family & friends.  An older FFL warned me yesterday, telling me such gifts could be considered a straw purchase.  I was under the impression (having worked for an FFL myself) that gifts were entirely legal.  Can I not buy guns with the intent of giving them away?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see anything illegal in giving them as gifts. How many lowers are we talking about here?  Do you know the people you're gifting them to?  Is there anything more to the story?  Like buy my product and receive a free gift type thing?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Since Trinity Ordnance started selling me NOS Sabre Defense (Cav Arms Mk2) lowers 3x for $100, I've been giving them away to family & friends.  An older FFL warned me yesterday, telling me such gifts could be considered a straw purchase.  I was under the impression (having worked for an FFL myself) that gifts were entirely legal.  Can I not buy guns with the intent of giving them away?
View Quote

Nothing wrong or illegal with giving guns away as gifts. No limit either.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I don't see anything illegal in giving them as gifts. How many lowers are we talking about here?  Do you know the people you're gifting them to?  Is there anything more to the story?  Like buy my product and receive a free gift type thing?
View Quote
I give them to family & friends who are Texas residents.  I'm not aware of any felons in my circle of friends.  @ $33 a lower, I like giving them away - and I was given 9 of em by Trinity Ordnance for my wedding, so I've already given one of those away.

While I have sold plastic brick rifle stock kits, I gave away about as many as I sold, and there's no correspondence so far btwn giving lowers and selling stock kits, particularly as I've not sold any stock kits since before I started giving lowers away, and the lowers I give away aren't compatible w/ the stock kits.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the instructions on the back of the 4473.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have, it confirms what i said.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something about "Are you the actual purchaser?"  If you're buying because you want to with your own money that is true.   I could buy a hundred and hand them out to family and friends and none of them would be a straw purchase.   
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
.....  An older FFL warned me yesterday, telling me such gifts could be considered a straw purchase.......    
View Quote

That older FFL needs to read the damn instructions on the Form 4473 and then read the ATF definition of "straw purchase"
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  That older FFL needs to read the damn instructions on the Form 4473 and then read the ATF definition of "straw purchase"
View Quote
That's what I thought, but I was trying to make a good impression w/ my new FIL.    He might not know gifts all that well, but I think he knows Garands inside & out.

Thanks fellas.  Found a transplanted Minnesotan today who wasn't issued a gun when he crossed the border.  I'll probably have to take care of that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#9]
In b4.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top